Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Funny thing Happened at the Auction (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/funny-thing-happened-auction-t55156.html)

dslone 07-18-2010 06:57 PM

My DH and I went to an auction today he was outside bidding on things outside while I stayed in. Some cute little wicker baskets came up I thought they were going under 2 dollars so I start out biding thinking I was getting them for a few bucks come to find out the hard way they were over one hundred dollars went up and checked what was the going price and she said it was $170.00 I said I can't buy that and gave them back to resell about turned my number in.

erstan947 07-18-2010 07:02 PM

We live and learn. I'm with you a couple of bucks would be great.

sharon b 07-18-2010 07:02 PM

:shock: OUCH :shock: Glad you were able to turn them back in

amandasgramma 07-18-2010 07:26 PM

I'm laughing cuz same thing happened to my late husband.....

I got all kinds of lectures about being careful, every hand movement would be a bid, etc. before going into an auction. The very FIRST thing he saw was a bookcase, with sliding glass doors. It was old, but not in good condition. The item came up, the auctioneer started it at FIVE. Bill immediately said SEVEN. I THOUGHT I heard the auctioneer say something about it being in "hundreds"...well, everyone was looking at us. I asked woman next to me if auctioneer said hundreds...YIP!! I told Bill to STOP, it's in hundreds......well, we ended up getting it for $700!!!!!!! They wouldn't put it back up!!!!!! I NEVER let him forget it! I still have it...it's now worth about $1500....so I don't feel so bad.....LOL LOL

earthwalker 07-18-2010 07:30 PM

I love baskets, but what were these, gold plated! Great you were able to resell...what did they end up going for?

CarrieAnne 07-18-2010 08:28 PM

I'm affraid to go to auctions for that reason! My Brother finds all kinds of great stuff, but I can never understand what they are saying!

sueisallaboutquilts 07-18-2010 09:24 PM

Were they Longaberger baskets??
But still, YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!

mygirl66 07-19-2010 03:22 AM

Oh, I miss going to auctions! I love just watching and listening to them while I eat ice cream. Amazing how much fun you can have just sitting back an watching!

Gramma B 07-19-2010 04:51 AM

We love going to auctions. When we were first married, we were at an auction and sitting beside each other. A table came up for bids, and kept going higher and higher. Finally the auctioneer asked us, "are you two together?" We were both bidding, not knowing the other was bidding too! They restarted the bidding.

Pam 07-19-2010 05:19 AM

I went to one earlier this year and got the most beautiful, delicate walnut chair with what looks like a thin ivory inlay. It is very pretty in my sewing room and I really have not missed the $17 that I had to spend to get it.

The auction I went to before that I got 2 horses and a pony! Guess I got caught up in it all.