Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Gardeners, what's your favorite variety of tomato to grow? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/gardeners-whats-your-favorite-variety-tomato-grow-t87285.html)

CarrieAnne 01-03-2011 08:05 PM

I wantto try some of the heirlooms too. I have tried Mr. Stripys, but they didnt do well here. I always do Early Girls, and I always get some type of cherry tomatoes.

quiltinghere 01-03-2011 08:08 PM

Plum Plum Plum - great for sauces!

Lynn Luker 01-03-2011 08:12 PM

I love the Sweet 100s also. Here in the heat, I can plant them early and they mature fast. It gets too hot to grow the larger ones, although every year I try. I did two heirlooms last year, without success.

theoldgraymare 01-03-2011 08:35 PM

Love the sungold for cherry tomatoes. For years I have used Celebrity for the big tomatoes. They take the heat here and are disease resistant -- always a problem in our high humidity and heat.

JAGSD 01-04-2011 03:54 AM

I usually plant the Early Girls, Big Boy, and try a couple of others just to check out and always a cherry or grape. The last Grape tomato I planted was a yellow and was the most flavorful, tender skinned and tasty.

Darlene 01-04-2011 03:58 AM

Most of the time I grow Better Boys which are protected.

leonajo 01-04-2011 04:03 AM

I am a huge gardener and have grown about every tomato there is! Just some advice, Heirloom tomatoes do not produce like regular tomatoes. They bear a lot later and in very small amounts! If u r planning on putting up Salsa, juices or canned tomatoes use the regular dependable tomatoes!!!!!! A few of the Heirlooms better than others for reliablilty, the Oxhearts and Green Zebras r not bad. Different tomatoes grow better in different areas. I live in Zone 5, Missouri area. Better Boys, Big Boys, Beef Steaks all do well here. Talk to ur local Greenhouses or neighbor and ask what they recommend.

jad1044 01-04-2011 05:40 AM

I loved the Watermelon Beefsteak - it grew so big, one slice covered a whole slice of bread or large bun for sandwiches... I love the Romas for tomato sauce, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, and even thick juice. The Early Girl is good for just slicing and eating - and the grape tomatoes for salads... just my favorites!

CarrieAnne 01-04-2011 05:49 AM

I planted a few Heirloom German ones last year, and they were SOOO good, but I cant remember the name. They were HUGE and really dk red, almost purple, and the plants looked like potaoes. ANyone have a clue what they might be? They had German in the name.........

vjengels 01-04-2011 05:49 AM

I love the little pear tomatos ! they're like eating candy, and they look like little tiny lightbulbs.
We usually have those a cherry tomato plant and a beefsteak;
this past summer a Roma plant snuck into our yard from some where.... way on the other side of the yard, we let it grow along the ground, it went crazy!