Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Gardening without Gloves - without Shoes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/gardening-without-gloves-without-shoes-t138752.html)

Krystyna 07-19-2011 11:07 AM

Anyone garden without gloves? I can't stand them. I need to feel the roots when I pull a weed, and it just seems barbaric to prune a shrub or even a tomato plant with gloves. I finally got outside today and tackled a very very weedy vegetable garden and I will admit that my hands are sore.

How about without shoes? I love weeding and dead heading in my flower and herb beds without shoes. There's lots of cushy lemon thyme growing there and it smells delightful when you step on it.

DebraK 07-19-2011 11:09 AM

depends what I'm dealing with. I wear gloves when I work with my roses or other thorny things.

erstan947 07-19-2011 11:23 AM

My yard has snakes, we live rural and on a river so, yard work requires long pants, shoes and sometimes gloves. My hoe is by the door in case I need it for snake removal. My DH uses a shot gun.

Jim's Gem 07-19-2011 11:23 AM

I don't use my gloves unless I am trimming the roses. But, I always, always wear shoes, I have horrible feet and cannot run around barefoot.

I too like to feel the root to pull weeds and dig in the soil!

cjomomma 07-19-2011 11:27 AM

When I had a garden I didn't wear gloves or shoes. Shoes make my feet hurt.

dakotamaid 07-19-2011 11:30 AM

I wear tight fitting latex (or equivalent) gloves and long sleeves and pants as I'm allergic to so many things. We too have snakes so I just watch carefully.

romanojg 07-19-2011 11:30 AM

I hate to wear gloves or shoes. First of all I have small hands and trying to get gloves with short fingers is hard. In the winter time as soon as my car is partially warm they come off.

Shoes; well if I could go barefoot all of the time I would. I rarely buy shoes because they are so disapointing. They look so good on the shelf and then when you try to wear them they cause you pain. We were poor growing up and so shoes were never at the top of the list of needs so we rarely wore shoes and I guess I never got used to them. I loved living in Hawaii because they aren't focused on shoes like we are here on the mainland. My kids loved it because if they wanted to go to school barefooted or wear flip flops they could. Now Jackets; that's another story, I love to buy and make them and love to wear them

Anael 07-19-2011 11:33 AM

I don't wear gloves but I do wear shoes. I always cut corners and end up with my toes being blue, purple and green for weeks :(

Favorite Fabrics 07-19-2011 11:38 AM

I wear gloves to try to keep my hands clean... but somehow the dirt gets in there anyway! But garden shoeless? Never. Ants bite. Even the northern ones!

moonwork42029 07-19-2011 12:42 PM

No gloves when I do venture into the yard. Have to wear shoes anymore because I'm a sissy. If it's muddy though, the shoes gotta come off so I can be squishy.