Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   General laundry pre-treaters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/general-laundry-pre-treaters-t255936.html)

nativetexan 10-27-2014 02:37 PM

liquid spray Oxy clean seems to do the trick for me.

tesspug 10-27-2014 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6946064)
I often use - Shout- or Dawn dish soap rubbed onto oily stains

They use Dawn to get the oil of birds after an oil spill, so it might do the trick. Maybe mix with vinegar. I use Dawn and vinegar to clean my bathtub. It gets out that grease.

Wow I Like That 10-27-2014 03:35 PM

My son used to have a problem with sweating and staining his shirts. I think it outgrew it but he thinks it is more that we switched from regular antiperspirant to a natural antiperspirant. Anyway, he always stained his shirts. This will get out anything. Almost anything at least. I had the carpet cleaners tell me I would never remove a carpet stain and I got it out with this. This works on collar stains too. You use regular Dawn - blue. Pout the Dawn on the stain. Sprinkle a little baking soda on it too. Pour a teaspoon or two of peroxide on the stain. I scrub lightly with an old toothbrush. Let sit at least an hour or two then wash as usual. It is a set in stain, you may have to do this twice but it will be gone. I have yet to find anything that peroxide ruined. It simply doesn't harm anything. Try it, you will be pleasantly amazed.

jquilt214 10-27-2014 05:33 PM

I just read in a hints column that you should spray pre-treaters on and wait at least 30 minutes before washing. I pre-treat all my stains when taking my clothes off and put them in the laundry basket. Then when I do laundry i just wash as normal. Since I have started doing this I haven't had a problem with stains not coming out.

NJ Quilter 10-27-2014 05:54 PM

I've done dawn; fells naptha; peroxide (which in straight straigtnght I have found to deteriorate fabric). I will mention the peroxide on the collar thing to him but I don't see thst lasting more than a day, if that, frankly. His cuffs and sleevesvare just general dirt. It really just annoys me that detergents that used to work no longer do. Used to be that i could rub wisk into a stain and it was gone. Unfortunately, no more. General laundry should not be this difficult! I will try everyone's suggestions.

Anniedeb 10-27-2014 08:32 PM

I swear by Shout! I've used it for years, and rarely come across staining I can't get out. My son worked in a junk yard, and for the city maintenance truck repair during his college years, and got greasy, oily, stinky and sweaty!! Pre-treating and soaking does the job. I'm intrigued by the dollar store recommendations though!!

misspriss 10-28-2014 02:52 AM

If a color try shampoo and rub gently with a toothbrush until absorbed, if white use Soft Scrub with Bleach, I use that on most stains.

quilterlaurie 10-28-2014 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 6945685)
Can anyone recommend a good laundry pre-treater/stain agent? DH manages to get the collars, cuffs and sleeves of his shirts disgusting. I have tried just about everything on the market (I think) to no avail. Seems to me that with the removal of all the phosphates in the laundry detergents now, that none of them seem to work overly well. It doesn't help that we have very 'hard' water. I've tried borax; washing soda with detergents; am spending a small fortune on Tide detergent based on consumer reports and nothing seems to get clothes clean any more. My old favorite, K2R Spot Lifter, apparently isn't made any longer.

I have a Maytag top load washer - about 10-15 years old - that was pretty much top of the line at the time. I don't think the issue is with the machine (as DH does). But I feel like all that washing machines do any longer is swish the clothes around with the detergent to make them smell better - not get them clean!

Any hints/suggestions gladly welcomed.

I use the original Dawn dish soap for all my prespotting WORKS GREAT

celwood 10-28-2014 03:49 AM

You can also try Oxydol, it does a pretty good job removing stains. If DH thinks it is the washer go with his decision and get a new washer...LOL. I just purchased the Samsung top loader, with no spinner in the middle, and love it

Girlfriend 10-28-2014 03:55 AM

The best thing I ever did to get my laundry clean was to install a soft water conditioner. Hard water minerals bind with dirt. So many other benefits to soft water to mention here. I know, not an inexpensive solution to your problem.

I was going to recommend Amway Prewash Spray, but the formula has changed and don't think it's as good as it used to be.

Good luck and let us know if you find something that works.