Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Geraniums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/geraniums-t290805.html)

tranum 08-29-2017 06:30 AM

Geraniums

We live in the Dakotas and my neighbor didn't know she could save her nice geraniums from year to year. She threw them in the garbage every fall and shelled out about $100 for new in the Spring so I showed her how: Before frost, gather up a large cardboard box or paper grocery bags. Pull geraniums out of pots, shake off excess dirt, as much as possible. Stuff them in the box or bag, close it up then store in basement. Don't look at them until a nice sunny day comes in late Feb.

haul the box box outside and clean off all dead leaves, cut stems back to 3"-5" above root. Most likely there is new growth beginning already. Soak roots in water and root stimulator solution for a 15-30 minutes, then pot in small flower pots and set in a sunny place. Water weekly with root stimulator solution. I mix it in a plastic milk jug. Transplant into big pots outside in mid May and give them root stimulator for a few watering. Every year they get bigger and it works best with good quality plants, not seed geraniums that never seem to bloom nicely.

SusieQOH 08-29-2017 07:03 AM

I really like your method. I love fussing around with roots and bulbs. I find it rewarding,as I'm sure you do too.

QuiltnNan 08-29-2017 07:48 AM

it's so rewarding to see new growth in last year's plants

JustAbitCrazy 08-29-2017 12:18 PM

I tried that once years ago and it wasn't very successful, but then I didn't know about root stimulator. Sounds like you have it down to a science. Thanks for sharing!

liking quilting 08-29-2017 06:32 PM

My dmil was an expert at that method. Never seemed to fail for her. I didn't have as good of luck, and prefer to keep my alive thru the winter in our heated garage.

quiltingshorttimer 08-29-2017 08:13 PM

I'm lazy so I just bring in mine and put in basement in a window and water just often enough to keep going. I cut back in the spring and then put outside. Have a couple that are about 5 yrs old and one of those is a cutting that was from my sister originally.

SusieQOH 08-30-2017 03:53 AM

I have 2 Mandevillas that I bring in every fall and keep in a window upstairs. They come back beautifully.
I keep them where the cats can't play with them :)

Joset 08-30-2017 06:12 AM

i save my geraniums over every year. this year i am trying some petunia. planting them
in different pots and putting them in a warm room down in the shop

zennia 08-30-2017 07:16 AM

My dad always saved his geraniums from year to year. I didn't know you could keep Mandevillas. They are so pretty. I am going to try saving one and see what happens.

sailsablazin 08-30-2017 09:01 AM

Last year I also brought in my Mosquito plants---cut them back and left in a window and watered whenever I remembered. In the spring, I brought them out again. Cut them back again (must admit that they looked pretty bad at first), but I saved 3 of them and some money! Often forgot to water them during the winter here.