Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Get ready to pay more for your mail (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/get-ready-pay-more-your-mail-t169547.html)

Airwick156 11-23-2011 04:44 AM

Get ready to pay more for your mail

Saw this on MSNBC.com this morning about the post office increasing their prices.
Stamps will also go up to 45 cents for first class. So buy Forever stamps.

Among the increases set for Jan. 22:

•Priority mail, small box, $5.35.
•Priority mail, medium box, $11.35.
•Priority mail, large box, $15.45.
•Priority mail, regular envelope, $5.15.
•Priority mail, legal-size and padded envelope, $5.30.

ontheriver 11-23-2011 05:30 AM

Doesn't surprise me, everything keeps going up except my income.

sandybeach 11-23-2011 10:08 AM

Let's be honest, if it were run by a private company, you would be paying much more. But then, they are so far in debt I doubt they will ever see the black. Considering the only mail I get are advertisements, I'm surprised the Post Office is even still in business.

auntmag 11-23-2011 10:18 AM

I mail very little, and I buy the Forever stamps, I have a few that I purchasd at least two years ago.

Stitchnripper 11-23-2011 11:37 AM

There was another thread started very recently and here's what I posted on it.

It's too bad the Postal Service can't make it. I heard (or read) that they depend on bulk mailing because of the sharp reduction in first class mail. Seems like email, Texting and FAX have taken over as the primary ways people communicate so aren't mailing things anymore. Many statements I get from banks, insurance, etc. all say "if you want to make this paper statement go away, enroll in our e-statement program". so even they aren't mailing as much. Yet, we want our mail delivered and all services that we are used to. I guess we and they are between a rock and a hard place.

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 11-23-2011 12:20 PM

I always buy the Forever Stamps because I hate having to buy 1 cent or 2 cent stamps to go with what I have left. Now I don't have to worry about it. Now all I have to worry about is coming up with the money to buy the Forever Stamps when I need them.

Podunk Princess 11-23-2011 07:40 PM

It's still a bargain compared to other countries. I just wish they would increase it by a few cents and then leave it alone for a while instead of a penny at a time. It makes everyone mad every time they raise the rates.

Mad Mimm 11-23-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Podunk Princess (Post 4715089)
It's still a bargain compared to other countries. I just wish they would increase it by a few cents and then leave it alone for a while instead of a penny at a time. It makes everyone mad every time they raise the rates.

I totally agree. I have been saying for at least a year or two now that they should just raise it a big amount, like 10 cents or more, and do it ONCE. That way, we can get our kvetching done with and move on. I would rather that, than keep having to purchase penny stamps to fix my postage. I don't like the Forever stamps, they are not as pretty as other choices. Yup. I actually buy stamps 'cause they are pretty. I am funny that way.

Daisy144 11-28-2011 05:08 PM

We'd all miss it big time if it were done away with like some in congress would like to do - let's face it, the cost of sending a letter or a birthday card would be out of sight. According to a commercial I've seen on TV the reason the PO is in such bad shape financially is because of something congress did making them pay the majority of the monies it makes into a fund - Living in a small rural town I know that we would never receive mail if it were left up to private carriers - I'll gladly pay the additonal pennies they require - beats the alternative!

nativetexan 11-28-2011 05:14 PM

shoot i just got back from mailing my gifts off. costs me $69.00!!