Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   giving a dog asprin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/giving-dog-asprin-t110128.html)

mimom 03-23-2011 02:30 PM

has anyone ever heard of giving a dog asprin, if so how many times a day can I give it to my 110lb german shepherd

sewwhat85 03-23-2011 02:31 PM

the dr had me giving 1 a day to lab i put it in a piece of hot dog and down it went helped with arthritis

emerald46 03-23-2011 02:32 PM

I don't think dogs can take aspirin!!! I know you can give them benedryl and gas-x. Check online to be sure.

Jabear617 03-23-2011 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by mimom
has anyone ever heard of giving a dog asprin, if so how many times a day can I give it to my 110lb german shepherd

I have heard that Asprin is bad for them....Call your vet:)

wanderingcreek 03-23-2011 02:32 PM

Yes, we used to give some to our Roti after she had surgery to repair a ligament in her leg. We gave her 1 twice a day for a couple of weeks (hid it inside a piece of wiener as she hated taking pills) Since it helped out Roti we also gave some to our german Shepherd after she had a run in with a porcupine and we had to remove the quills.

EskapetheNorm 03-23-2011 02:35 PM

One time I thought that I read that standard human for drug companies formulation was 150 lbs. So, one aspirin every six hours might be a little light, but might do the job. Please check with your vet.

mimom 03-23-2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by wanderingcreek
Yes, we used to give some to our Roti after she had surgery to repair a ligament in her leg. We gave her 1 twice a day for a couple of weeks (hid it inside a piece of wiener as she hated taking pills) Since it helped out Roti we also gave some to our german Shepherd after she had a run in with a porcupine and we had to remove the quills.

thanks, this big fella of mine was running the fence line as he does with his pal Rocko (lives behind us) and must have pulled something. He has done it before. But I think its worse this time, he is not putting any weight on it at all. Taking him to the vet Thurs or Friday

Ramona Byrd 03-23-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by mimom

---------------------
Yes, the Vet had me give my elderly Doberman a buffered Aspirin. It seemed to help the poor darling. If I remember correctly, she got one in the morning and one at night before bed time. She had a thick foam pad covered with sheep skin that she slept on, and loved it. Wouldn't allow any other dog or cat on her bed.

MzMcKee 03-23-2011 02:49 PM

Long term use of Aspirin is discuraged because it's hard on the stomach lining. I have very small dogs and one had pulled a back muscle. My vet suggest baby aspirin twice a day but for no more then two weeks and to give it to him with food.

Tink's Mom 03-23-2011 02:51 PM

You could check with PetRX...We did when Tink had hives all over and it was a Sunday morning....If it wasn't a huge emergency, I wasn't taking her to the Doggie ER.