Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   glad i know about aurifil (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/glad-i-know-about-aurifil-t214928.html)

sewincircles 02-27-2013 10:19 AM

Thank you for the link to Tristans!

thimblebug6000 02-27-2013 11:49 AM

I wonder where in BC they are located?

QuiltE 02-27-2013 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 5892559)
I wonder where in BC they are located?

I think Richmond? ... check the website.
One of the other QB posters has gone there and purchased direct.
I'm not sure if they have a storefront per se, or if it's a warehouse sale, every once in a while.

Slow2Sew 02-28-2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 5891692)
I get so confused on thread weight. What is 12 wt used for?

I'm certainly no expert, but I saw an expert named Eric on Fons & Porter recently. He said the larger the number the finer the thread. That means 12 wt would be a heavier thread.

callen 02-28-2013 08:20 AM

Aurifil thread is awesome. I too, have just found this thread & have been using for several months now. I order from a site near Ottawa, Ontario (Stittsville) & this lady is great. The site is called: Bytowne threads & basically her thread runs $9.00 for 1300 m of thread. Lots of colours & she has all sizes of spools. Just google Bytowne Threads & her site comes up. I have absolutely no connection to this site - just a fan of Aurifil thread. Give her a try & she does not want your credit card info over the net - she'll call you when she gets your order to finalize things.

HMK 02-28-2013 09:41 AM

Thimble... they're in Richmond and you can order and let them know you'll pick it up. A friend and I did that when we bought some batting from them. Just watch their grab bags, though - the ones I got had odd colours but on their website it said it was for piecing and they didn't acknowledge my email about it.

QuiltE 02-28-2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by HMK (Post 5894459)
Thimble... they're in Richmond and you can order and let them know you'll pick it up. A friend and I did that when we bought some batting from them. Just watch their grab bags, though - the ones I got had odd colours but on their website it said it was for piecing and they didn't acknowledge my email about it.

Here's a hint ... talk to them on the phone!
I have and they have been very helpful in letting me know what is in a "job lot" ... even to the point of making a custom colour combo, to keep to the package price.

Their customer service has been exceptional. And I've heard many others say the same as to their experiences.

callen 02-28-2013 06:38 PM

Tristan is clearing out their aurifil thread & going with a different brand Genziano which is egyptian thread made in Italy (like aurifil). I talked with them on the phone today & when the aurifil thread is gone, it's gone. They still have a few Grab bags etc. of thread at terrific prices. If you are still set on getting auriful thread you could try Bytowne Threads (just google them) near Ottawa, Ontario. The Tristan people tell me this Genziano thread is as good as aurifil. I ordered from them today so we will see. Very nice people to speak & deal with. Very good service.
Hope this is helpful.