Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   going to Anchorage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/going-anchorage-t249464.html)

cpcarolyn 07-05-2014 06:53 AM

Lived in Anchorage years ago and would love to go back to visit. Beautiful country. Have a gret time.

riutzelj 07-05-2014 11:50 AM

Humpys' has good food however their Berry Cobbler isn't worth the 11.00 price tag. The chowders, and shrimp were worth what was charged however. In general, be prepared that goods and services are very high in Alaska, has to do with demand ( summer highest hotel prices) and logistics of shipping stuff there.
Go to " The Quilted Raven" downtown for really nice Alaska prints and patterns. The Barbara Lavalle patterns and panels are very nice. Having just left 15 months out in very rural Yupik Alaska, I can tell you the patterns are quite authentic to what it is like out there. This store also has great yarns dyed in Alaska, as well as Muskox yarn. Next door to the Quilted Raven is a store which has high quality products; not the glitzy gift shop stuff but real art products. Raven's Blend Coffee is really GOOD. read the side panel on the " three peckered billy goat" blend, it will lead to a chuckle.The latter is very expensive, as the yarn is sourced primarily from fibers retrieved from nature when the muskox sheds in the spring. Right across from the Downtown Transit Center, there is a Native Cooperative that sells designs, yarn and accessories made out of the Muskox yarn. These articles are made by village dwellers across Alaska and have distinct patterns for each village. The "Smoke Ringers" are warm enough for the minus temperatures along the Yukon and Kuskwokwim Rivers, which is where I lived. An investment for time and a heritage. I'm making provenance labels for all the things I've collected over the past 5 years of traveling for work.

dollycaswell 07-05-2014 11:52 AM

Fayeberry, I live in Eagle River, approx 13 miles north of Anchorage. If you'll pm me, I'll give you my number and you're welcome to call if you'd like. Several wonderful suggestions on the board, as always, perhaps I can suggest a few more.

fayeberry 07-05-2014 11:58 AM

Thank you! Can't wait, sounds so interesting.

MarleneC 07-05-2014 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by fayeberry (Post 6784299)
We are planning a trip to Anchorage later this month. Have researched activities on the internet, but I'd welcome advice from anyone who has visited or lives there. What to do, what to avoid, where to eat, etc. Oh yes, I've researched quilt shops, too. Any thoughts about those?
Thanks so much.

Anchorage has some great quilt shops--research on internet---we liked eating at Jens on 36th an Arctic. Humpy's is great for fish tacos. The museum is worth visiting. There is also an airplane museum. Lots has changed in Anchorage since we lived there 11 years ago but the zoo is worth visiting--we lived there 13 years--now live in Kenai. I always suggest taking a lightweight jacket. You will see Alaskans eating ice cream when you are feeling cold. Anchorage does have some bad areas but those are usually not areas a visitor would visit.

KarenR 07-05-2014 04:43 PM

I loved the Alaska Mint. Nice items. All of the above where good ideas.

CurliQ 07-05-2014 05:13 PM

Uh-oh. Heard today that the wolf pups will be leaving sometime at the end of the month! Better hurry!

fayeberry 07-06-2014 08:00 AM

Going on the 17th, hope I get to see the wolf puppies.....and bears......

Phyllis42 07-06-2014 08:09 PM

Just don't follow the bears into the forest for better pictures as some silly tourists did while we were visiting. What about the mountain goats south of town?

fayeberry 07-07-2014 07:01 AM

Didn't know there were mountain goats, but it figures there would be. Will look for them. Do remember seeing some in Canada a while back, and their ability to climb in the most difficult spots was amazing.