Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Going on a cross the US trip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/going-cross-us-trip-t76024.html)

retta97 11-12-2010 06:12 PM

Anybody out there who can tell me sites to see from penn. ,w. va,kentucy,tenn,ok. ,texas (panhandle ),n. mexico,
arizona,nevada, utah, calorado, wyoming, kanas, missouri,
illionois,indiana, ohio ? Hubby and I are planning this trip to leave the end of march and going throgh the month of april. After 34 years of marriage and 2 other failed trips we are GOING!! So if there is some where
or some thing that you think would be a must see let us know.Thanks

debbieumphress 11-12-2010 06:16 PM

I would figure out a way to list all quilt shops on the way. YOu can get the Quilt book that shows all the shops. As far as places, stop at each border at the visitors center and go from there. Ify ou get thru texas and come thru Ft. Worth, I'd love to come see you. What a wonderful trip. I am going to do it when the weather clears myself and get a list of board members to pop in on. Have fun.

candlequilter 11-12-2010 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by retta97
Anybody out there who can tell me sites to see from penn. ,w. va,kentucy,tenn,ok. ,texas (panhandle ),n. mexico,
arizona,nevada, utah, calorado, wyoming, kanas, missouri,
illionois,indiana, ohio ? Hubby and I are planning this trip to leave the end of march and going throgh the month of april. After 34 years of marriage and 2 other failed trips we are GOING!! So if there is some where
or some thing that you think would be a must see let us know.Thanks

The Grand Canyon is a beautiful sight to see and you can see it either from Nevada or Arizona depending on which side you are closest to. I saw it from the Nevada side on the way to Las Vegas. It is so breathtaking - well worth the drive. Also Yellowstone National Park and Old Faithful is a great side trip. You will see alot of great country, many many many animals, and old Faithful is unbelieveable. I have driven cross country many times and always find more places that are gorgeous.

Have fun and be safe,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

PS - if you have access to a GPS or garmin they are wonderful for trips such as this and tell you how to get from point a to point b or where the closest food, hotel, or gas is.

SaraSewing 11-12-2010 06:26 PM

When you come to Utah, it's a joy to see so many different kinds of things, all so close together. In Kanab, you can see the Grand Canyon from the North Rim (the best view) is 90 miles, Zions Ntl Park (30 miles), Bryce Canyon (60 miles), Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell (50 miles) If you want more info, just PM me. Sara

Sunflower Girl 11-12-2010 06:51 PM

Close to Amarillo, TX is Palo Duro Canyon. It is the second largest canyon in the US.

retta97 11-12-2010 06:54 PM

Sara ,
would love any info Thanks

IrishNY 11-12-2010 06:56 PM

Also in AZ, make sure you go to Sedona (love the red rocks!) and Sunset Crater outside Flagstaff where you can walk through a lava field (very cool). You also can view the Painted Desert from Sunset Crater. It's all beautiful.

retta97 11-12-2010 06:57 PM

Hubby watching and states only if we go to every gun shop along the way.Well guess what, we wouldn't see anything but quilt and gun shops! LOL

retta97 11-12-2010 06:59 PM

IrishNY were in New York? I am in Rochester.

KathyAire 11-12-2010 07:02 PM

You will be too early to see the outdoor musical production 'Texas' in the Palo Duro Canyon. But you can see
Cadillac Ranch outskirts of Amarillo.