Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Going on long road trip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/going-long-road-trip-t285967.html)

nvb50 02-10-2017 06:10 AM

Going on long road trip

What do you do when traveling to keep busy? I don't like to sit and stare out the window.

dunster 02-10-2017 06:56 AM

I drive, LOL. I enjoy listening to recorded books on a long trip.

toverly 02-10-2017 07:35 AM

I have embroidered blocks, made hexies (precut squares), needlepointed. I seem to do anything but read. Before you go, you may want to go to quiltinghub.com and get a map of any quilt stores you'll pass. It's a fun way to break up the trip as long as you don't shop too long. Afterall, why purchase gas at exit X when there is a great quilt shop at exit Y with a gas station nearby.

Cactus Stitchin 02-10-2017 08:23 AM

I turn on the hotspot on my IPhone and use that to connect my IPad to the internet. Then I'm able browse to my hearts content or research interesting information on where we are traveling or signs we read, look up upcoming towns, find the best places to eat, see if there is a convenient gas station or even look for gas at the best price, etc.

Tartan 02-10-2017 08:50 AM

I can use my iPad but usually just enjoy the scenery. I get a little car sick if I work to long looking down.

Chasing Hawk 02-10-2017 08:57 AM

I usually read or sleep (except when driving of course.........haha). My job is navigating, well sort of. It usually doesn't work that way when on our way to our destination. We wander off the beaten path most of the time till we get to where we are going. Once we arrive the navigator takes over and gets us to our hotel and other spots we want to go to.

My husband has a picture on his desk of a man and a saying....."It's not the destination but the journey getting there."

p.s.
My husband does 98% of the driving when we travel. I have to make sure we stop every two hours to get out and just stretch our legs. My husband has a DVT running the length of his left leg so getting out of the truck often is a must.

nvb50 02-10-2017 05:09 PM

Thanks all

lots2do 02-10-2017 05:33 PM

I knit washcloths. I've even bought cotton yarn at Walmart in the middle of a road trip but I prefer local yarn shops if possible. I also keep a little spiral bound memo pad and a pen handy to jot down notes about the trip or billboards and signs of interesting shops etc. to check out the next time. I've brought hexies before but it isn't always easy to sew them in a moving vehicle. I also load my IPad with free books from Overdrive. I do need a better charger for it, though.

quiltingshorttimer 02-10-2017 07:29 PM

audio books, enjoy the scenery, handwork, nap, mess around on tablet, sketch. I can't read--get very car sick, but I do like maps.

Anniedeb 02-10-2017 08:42 PM

We talk, look at the scenery, listen to the radio, or rarely, sleep. I'm usually the navigator, and the way some people drive now-a-days, I'm the second set of eyes.