Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Gone With the Wind - literally (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/gone-wind-literally-t119684.html)

dforesee 04-29-2011 12:51 PM

We all know that no material possessions, not even quilts, can ever be compared to lives. But in the wake of the horrific storms that swept across the southeast this week, I know that all of you, as fellow quilters, will understand the poignancy of this tidbit regarding my 89 year old dear friend and quilting mentor who taught me to quilt and has published many articles in quilting magazines, Marzee Tew. Marzee's daughter was one of the Alabama familes who lost their home and everything in it. They are all fine, thankful to be alive and not stressing at all over their loss of material possessions in light of the big picture. But I could not help but shed a tear or two as I realized that probably 20-30 of the 100+ quilts that Marzee has lovingly hand-stitched from start to finish, and often out of clothes of loved ones over the years, were in that home and are now "gone with the wind." I have seen stories of how some articles have shown up many miles away. It will be interesting to see if any of those quilts ever re-surface, and where, and whom they might chance to bring a moment of comfort to in the meantime. I'd like to think that might happen, anyway. My prayers are with all of our neighbors and friends, far and wide, who have suffered loss at any level.

LoriEl 04-29-2011 12:55 PM

So horrible but fantastic that everyone is okay. I feel for those that were in the middle of that weather.

pjaco 04-29-2011 01:00 PM

I often wonder about those things when tonadoes come our way. Some of the smallest things are found, it's a amazing.

S D G 04-29-2011 01:08 PM

Losing the quilts is sad, but not nearly as sad as if they had lost their lives. Thank God your friends are fine.

dogsgod 04-29-2011 01:55 PM

I was thinking today as I watched the destruction on the news that I hope someone, maybe lots of someones are picking up any pictures, handmade items etc. and setting up a repository where people could come and maybe reclaim some of their treasures.

pollyjvan9 04-29-2011 02:03 PM

Having witnessed devastating tornadoes here in Oklahoma City that destroyed whole neighborhood and took many lives I can only feel sorrow and compassion for all concerned. Love and prayers to all.

beckalou 04-29-2011 02:43 PM

Dogsgod, I saw on the news this morning that someone had set up a facebook page where people can take pictures of found items & post them so the items can be re-united with their owners. They showed pictures of photos, time cards, etc. Hopefully they will include other items as well. Wish I could remember the name of the facebook page.

dixiebelle162002 04-29-2011 02:47 PM

It is good to hear that she is ok, but it is heartwrenching to think of all of someones belongings being scattered everywhere.

JenniePenny 04-29-2011 02:54 PM

So sorry to hear of all people who lost all of their possessions. It's heartbreaking for sure. They will need extra strength to find joy and normalcy again.

Barb44 04-29-2011 03:05 PM

It is hard to fathom what it would be like to lose everything. A friend lost almost everything in a fire once. It took her years to get over it.

I just hope that whoever might find those quilts, they understand the value of them. Some people would think they were junk.

God bless all those affected by this devastation.