Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Got the AC fixed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/got-ac-fixed-t47062.html)

DebsShelties 05-25-2010 11:58 AM

Turns out it was not dead, but a part that had worn out making the unit seem dead.
Was nice having a company come do a repair instead of trying to sell me a new unit.
Guy said my ac was in good shape considering it was 20 years old.
When it is due for replacement, going to look at doing a heat pump/ac.
I have an electric furnace right now - costly.

Boston1954 05-25-2010 12:04 PM

Start saving now. That way when the time comes, you will have the $$ that you need.

amma 05-25-2010 12:05 PM

That is wonderful :D:D:D
Once you find a reputable company it sure takes a lot of worry out of the next needed repair/service :D:D:D

DebsShelties 05-25-2010 12:06 PM

Oh yeah, I should get 10 - 15 more years out of this one.
It was nice dealing with a firm that was not out just for money.

DebsShelties 05-25-2010 12:09 PM

I agree, finding a company that will do just what is needed is very nice.
I asked the tech about cleaning - he said don't bother as the units are self doing. The other company I had dealt with in the past always tried to get me on a 6 time contract for cleaning at $89 a shot, every 6 months. I didn't think it needed that so I declined.
Now I find out that I was right, it doesn't need that.

JJs 05-25-2010 12:52 PM

before getting an electric heat pump do a TON of research - some are not very good when it gets really cold - they apparently only work so good so many degrees above the actual temp - so if it's 19 degrees outside, it will struggle to keep the place warm...

DebsShelties 05-25-2010 12:56 PM

I will do research on heat pumps as I have friends here in town who have them. This past Winter was the harshest since I moved here 8 years ago.
Most are pretty mild even with the snow, temps do not fall below 20 degrees.
I do have a wood burning fireplace if needed. This place used to have a wood stove - they took it with them when they moved - darn it.
Those really put out the heat.

reach for the stars 2 05-25-2010 04:41 PM

I never had heat pumps before. When I moved to central Ill. our house has 2 one up one for down. The house I bought was only 6 months old, been here 11 years. I have to replace each one 2 times. They are prone to shorting out in storms. I seen to live in lighting area. Knock on wood this is the first year we turned on heat and air and it all work!!!! I just don't know about them. I have top of the line from good company and I don't think I would but a house with them again. Oh and energy discount isn't very much.

littlehud 05-25-2010 07:29 PM

When we got our new furnace I check out getting a heat pump and the company said my air conditioner had a number of years left in it. I'll keep it a while longer but I know my dad has saved a lot since he put in a heat pump. Someday I'll have one too.

craftybear 05-27-2010 09:45 AM

glad you got your a/c fixed

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Turns out it was not dead, but a part that had worn out making the unit seem dead.
Was nice having a company come do a repair instead of trying to sell me a new unit.
Guy said my ac was in good shape considering it was 20 years old.
When it is due for replacement, going to look at doing a heat pump/ac.
I have an electric furnace right now - costly.