Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Great American Read (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/great-american-read-t297263.html)

sherry mcd 05-29-2018 10:10 AM

Great American Read

Who is participating in the great American read on PBS? What is your favorite book on the list, and your favorite book off the list? Right now I'm leaning toward Jane Eyer and The Lovely Bones. Check out PBS because the vote tally is not for several weeks. Happy reading!

SusieQOH 05-29-2018 10:17 AM

Wow, what a fabulous array of books!!!!!!!!!!
I will have a very hard time voting but I'm leaning toward A Prayer for Owen Meany and of course, Jane Eyre. But but but ............ wow, as I said. So many wonderful reads.

cashs_mom 05-29-2018 10:36 AM

Well, I've read 31 of the books on their list. Have no desire to read a few, might look into some of the others. Very interesting list. I'm not sure what is my favorite. Its seems like some of my favorite books didn't make the list, but To Kill a Mockingbird is there and that's been a favorite of mine ever since I first read it many years ago.

djmat 05-29-2018 11:51 AM

I've read 58 of them but some of them don't appeal to me. I cannot believe Angela's Ashes, Cold Mountain, The God Particle, The Good Earth, Helter Skelter, (alpha order only) and so many others are not on the list. My fav on the list is One Hundred Years of Solitude. I love my Bible, too!

Thank you for posting this amazing list!

JustAbitCrazy 05-29-2018 05:02 PM

I'm surprised Shogun is not on that list!

Mkotch 05-30-2018 02:52 AM

I was disappointed with the TV program - it felt like "American Idol" for books with all the repetition. I keep going to the website every few days, though, to vote for Pride & Prejudice and for 100 Years of Solitude and Lord of the Rings. It's hard to pick just one! I like all the diversity on the list, but question some of the choices - 50 Shades of Gray?

SusieQOH 05-30-2018 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by djmat (Post 8066972)
I've read 58 of them but some of them don't appeal to me. I cannot believe Angela's Ashes, Cold Mountain, The God Particle, The Good Earth, Helter Skelter, (alpha order only) and so many others are not on the list. My fav on the list is One Hundred Years of Solitude. I love my Bible, too!

Yes! You named some outstanding books, especially Angela's Ashes- I have the audio and have listened to it so many times I lost count. Frank McCourt was amazing.
And Pat Conroy? He wrote sublime works.

JustAbitCrazy 05-30-2018 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch (Post 8067295)
I like all the diversity on the list, but question some of the choices - 50 Shades of Gray?

I'm with you. Those books have no business on that list. Trashy.

sherry mcd 05-30-2018 08:55 AM

Great American Read

Originally Posted by djmat (Post 8066972)

I don't know how the people were chosen to vote. The books had to be written and published in English. I think there were probably many younger readers, and everyone is younger than me. My 60th high school reunion is next month! Hard to believe.

KwiltyKahy 05-30-2018 10:50 AM

I forgot to watch the program. Do we know what criteria was used to make the list? Some of the choices seemed odd to me. It would be hard for me to vote since I haven't read them all and will not. Several of them are not something in which I would invest my time .