Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Great British Baking Show (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/great-british-baking-show-t306826.html)

Iceblossom 09-11-2019 07:42 AM

Great British Baking Show

Any other fans out there? I've watched it for a number of years on my local PBS channel and enjoy it so much. It is so much more peaceful than American competition shows where it's about beating people or marketing their brand, it's people trying to do their art form which is baking to the best of their ability.

Now that's it's off BBC it's off PBS :( but I can get the new show (still with Paul Hollywood but we lost Mary Berry, Sue and Mel and I rather like the new presenters) from broadcast in Canada. Which means tonight/Wednesday is British Baking Show night.

I understand there is a Great British Sewing Bee too! Haven't found that one yet.

Onebyone 09-11-2019 07:53 AM

I watch the new season on Netflix the same week it airs in England. You can't binge the new season as it's shown in real time. It's a really hokey show but it's so darn good to watch and makes me feel good. I like getting to know the bakers. They are all so unique and fun.

juliasb 09-11-2019 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8300381)
I watch the new season on Netflix the same week it airs in England. You can't binge the new season as it's shown in real time. It's a really hokey show but it's so darn good to watch and makes me feel good. I like getting to know the bakers. They are all so unique and fun.

I know where I will be going for my favorite BBS shows. I never thought about Netflix. Thanks for sharing this.

Tartan 09-11-2019 08:00 AM

I Have been watching The Great Pottery throw down on YouTube. There is also The Great Knit Off on YouTube but only 2 episodes have English subtitles.

JanieW 09-11-2019 08:31 AM

I love the Great British Baking Show. The new season of the Great Canadian Baking Show kicks off on September 18. Can’t wait. I’m disappointed that Dan Levy won’t be hosting, but it will be fun to see the new hosts.

charley26 09-11-2019 10:04 AM

Yes, I am a faithful follower of this show. It is on Channel 4 here in the UK, but made by 'Love Productions'. Paul is still the silver fox, but Prue Leith is the better cook, she has years of experience in cooking/baking etc, long before Paul Hollywood became the silver fox of current baking. Those 2 comedians are well known to us Brits, and are well established and very funny. It is a wonderful feel good programme.
We also get a follow up programme called 'Another Slice', also on Channel 4. This show has a live audience who bring in cakes and bakes, and an section with the contestant who left the main show, and he/she brings one of his bakes/cakes. I am not sure if you can get that show in the US. I also love this show.

ptquilts 09-12-2019 04:06 AM

I don't have a TV or streaming service, but the BBC website has The best recipes!! I found it by accident, never would have thought of looking for recipes there.

I think British shows in general are more low-key than US versions. Look at the difference between the US and UK shows of Kitchen Nightmares. Or Antiques Roadshow.

Snooze2978 09-12-2019 04:29 AM

Yes, I also enjoyed watching the British baking Show. I agree that there seemed to be no violent competition as in the states. You'll see them helping each other time and time again. Now that's how it should be. I find the Junior Baker show shows some of the kids helping each other too. That's how it should be in my opinion. I still watch the reruns when they come on PBS.

leonf 09-12-2019 05:59 AM

Maybe they will learn to actully cook their bacon instead of just warming it.

klswift 09-12-2019 07:11 AM

Netflix has it and is trying out their new once a week release of new shows.