Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   The Great Turnip Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/great-turnip-challenge-t28774.html)

patricej 11-16-2009 03:48 PM

poor turnips. they get a bad "rap" ... like broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts.

i have learned to love the broc and the cauli.

but, ok. i confess. i still have to be in just the right mood for brussel sprouts. and that ain't often. :lol:

bean soup just isn't bean soup without chunks o'turnip.

bearisgray 11-16-2009 03:57 PM

I'm still adapting to rutabagas in soup.

MadQuilter 11-16-2009 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i still have to be in just the right mood for brussel sprouts.

use the smaller ones and criss-cross cut the stems before boiling. It takes a lot of the strength out. Somewhere I have a great recipe that uses the blanched Brussel Sprouts in a casserole with meatballs. It's really yummy.

Ninnie 11-16-2009 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
People actually eat turnips - on purpose!! :?

My thoughts exactly!!!

Ditto!!!

MadQuilter 11-16-2009 04:59 PM

Growing up in Germany, we had a root crop called black root. It looked like a thin carrot gone bad. Grandpa would scrape the outer skin off and Mother would have a cow because he did so with great enthusiasm. (Read we had to wipe down and mop the kitchen when he was done) They were prepared kind of like turnips and Grandpa and I were the only ones who liked them.

3incollege 11-16-2009 05:04 PM

I have a recipe for Turnip-Bacon Puff.
you bake it in a 2qt. souffle dish, or a cassorle dish would work. let me know if you want the recipe. I'll post it .
The challenge seems interesting.

May in Jersey 11-16-2009 08:46 PM

Donna, Your recipe sounds different, please post it. May in Jersey

redkimba 11-16-2009 08:47 PM

I have a Mrs. Beeton's recipe book (cookbook dated to the 1860s). I can see what recipes she lists for turnips if you are interested.

Pzazz 11-17-2009 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by 3incollege
I have a recipe for Turnip-Bacon Puff.
you bake it in a 2qt. souffle dish, or a cassorle dish would work. let me know if you want the recipe. I'll post it .
The challenge seems interesting.

This sounds much like a recipe I have for a squash puff. Hmmmm wonder if I can substitute turnip in that recipe?!?!?!

quilthappycathy 11-17-2009 09:59 AM

Here is a turnip recipe that has been a hit at our house. Even my 85 year old dad, who never ate turnips - likes it!
I cook and mash my turnips as I always have.
Then I spread half of them into the bottom of a casserole
Next I layer sliced MacIntosh apples over turnips.
Then spread the remaining half of the turnip on top.
Next I make a Crumble Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. butter
Mix those together and sprinkle around the outside ring of your casserole, letting the turnip peek through in the middle.
Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes.
Delicious - Enjoy!