Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Had Horseback Shoppers At Our Booth Yesterday (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/had-horseback-shoppers-our-booth-yesterday-t157493.html)

ThayerRags 10-02-2011 01:15 PM

It’s not often that we have shoppers on horseback come by our booth at events, but we had some yesterday. The neighboring small rural town of Grandfield Oklahoma had their annual “Western Days” Celebration again, and this year, we were Vendors for the event. We had been there before as event participants, but this was our first year to have a booth. Vehicle traffic is blocked off and booths are set up on both sides of the “main downtown” street. Stores that are still in business have sales, store buildings that are still good buildings but no longer in business invite garage salers to set up in them, and stores that are no longer in operation have booths set up in front of them. We were actually set up in front of what used to be a store, but the entire building has been demolished except for the “store front”, or street-side wall, doors, and windows. You can’t even tell that there isn’t a building behind it until you take a peek through one of the painted widows to see nothing but Oklahoma prairie behind the glass. It reminded me of the Hollywood movie prop buildings.

At 1:00, the parade came down the street with nearly everything that I expect to see in a small town parade, including Color Guard, Royalty, Antique Vehicles, Floats, Clowns, Dignitaries, and horses; lots of horses. If you missed anything the first time, the parade made a U-turn at the end of the route, and came by for a second time. (First time I’ve seen that, but what a great idea!) What better way to get everyone back to their pickups, cars and trailers back at the parade starting point?

The only thing missing was a Marching Band, and I don’t think that the community has a school band program any longer, but there was a band stand set up across the street from us that provided non-stop musical entertainment all day long. From local harmonica players to really talented Karaoke singers of all ages, to dancers in the street, it was a nice day of entertainment. The square dancers and square dance caller from Texas were great. The Cheerleaders were a hit as always, and the pint-sized Mexican Hat Dancers were a crowd pleaser.

The cost of booth space? Nothing. The cost to attend as a visitor? Nothing. The biggest seller in the booths? Probably the food, lots of different kinds of foods, mostly prepared on-site. With the cost of booth space seemingly getting higher and higher, I hope other communities take a page from this town’s playbook on how to have a really nice annual event.

CD in Oklahoma

BrendaY 10-02-2011 01:21 PM

Sounds like a precious little town in Oklahoma! And with wonderful folks, too... would have liked to see the parade, etc..

Rose L 10-02-2011 01:22 PM

Oh yeah! Rural living can't be beat. The annual Junk Jaunt was held in my state last weekend...300 miles of garage sales and all the towns along the way decked out and putting their best foot forward. Love it!!

dallasstar 10-02-2011 01:23 PM

wow that sounds like a lot of really good fun. Now I have a question for you. You see my maiden name is Frederick. Do you have info. on who your town in OK is named for? Just always looking for past family. Hope you made some money in your booth this weekend.

Gramie bj 10-02-2011 06:00 PM

ThayerRags- That sounds like a small town just west of us up in the mountains only one paved road into town 4th of July every year Conconully Days! parade goes through town twice, every one has something for sale on main street, and Yard sales in the residental areas, free lemonade Volenteer Fire Dept and the local Forest service (Largest building in town) take turns watering down the kids and anyone else that wants to get wet, dancing in the street, lots of good food tables and chairs set up everywhere, get tired just sit someplace, someone will stop and visit with you whether you know them or not. Town is so small no law enforsment in the area so they bought a retired police car, park it at diffrent places in town daily only the locals know there is no cop there, people slow down everyones happy . if locals see a local driving to fast some one will talk to you if that doesn't work will call county sheriff they will talk to you! After fishermen and deer hunters leave town and snow falls no one bothers pushing snow off roads just get out the snowmobiles, you can drive into the town just so far then have to walk or snow mobile the rest of the way Forest Service keeps several groomed trails open into the mountains During deer hunting season the bucks move into town NO HUNTING IN TOWN!! Great for picture taking you can walk up to almost arm length. Only problem the year round residents have with this is the deer like the flower and veg gardens. Just a side note- everyone knows everyone else (we are all related, second, third cousins ect) and all your business personal and public!! No secrets in small town USA! LOL

blueangel 10-02-2011 08:06 PM

Sounds like a wonderful small town event. Our little town is having it's annual celebration next Saturday. Sounds similiar to yours.