Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Had so much fun tonight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/had-so-much-fun-tonight-t309430.html)

Tothill 01-25-2020 10:24 PM

Had so much fun tonight

My family is not really into sports. I watch 2 hockey games every 4 years, the Olympic Gold Medal Games and that is about it.

My son came home for the weekend unexpectedly and a friend posted on Facebook about a local Junior A Hockey game that was on tonight. Apparently our local team and the team from 30 miles away were neck in neck in the standings with only a few games left in the season.

I asked my son if he wanted to go. He hemmed and hawed, but in the end decide to go with me. It was fantastic. Now remember neither of us follow sports and I only know the rules from what I remember of fiend hockey back in the 1980's. Yes, I know they are not the same sport.

I do not think I have laughed so hard in months. We were interviewed by the local TV station, they were asking people how often the came to the games, they were happy to talk to people how had never been to a hockey game before. Firs they asked my son his first impression and he said, "well it is really loud, like really loud, I know when one of the teams scored, because it is louder then." I could not stop laughing, because it was true, the reported was laughing too. This was between the 2nd and 3rd periods. I laughed through the rest of the game.

Sometimes it is important to do something different, even if it is something you do not think you will enjoy. We were surprised at how much fun we had. The tickets were only $14 each, so basically the cost of going to the movies.

Oh and the local team won 4 to 2, so they are now #1 in the standings.

zozee 01-26-2020 01:47 AM

That’s hilarious! What a great memory you made. It’s going to be an inside joke now whenever things get “really loud”!

Blueridgebeverly 01-26-2020 04:05 AM

Fun! You’re right that it’s a good thing to try something new and get out of our comfort zone ..... have some fun. I can be a real homebody sometimes.

toverly 01-26-2020 05:06 AM

I know the local one around here is quite a show. A bonus that y'all won. Great time with your son. Go again.

Tish05 01-26-2020 12:24 PM

Sounds like you had a great time! I agree we need to step outside our routines and patterns and do something different once in a while.

juliasb 01-27-2020 07:39 AM

Sound like it was a great bonding experience for you and your son. What fun and as you say something outside of things you have ever done before. Now find something else that the 2 of you can do that is different. You never know he might want to make a quilt block here or there.

nativetexan 01-28-2020 03:32 PM

I think I'd rather go watch a sports game than go on a Roller Coaster ride.

Tothill 01-29-2020 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 8355749)
I think I'd rather go watch a sports game than go on a Roller Coaster ride.

Hi Nativetexan,

My son loves roller coasters. 5 years ago we went to Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm. It was the last week of August and kids in CA had gone back to school. he could ride the roller coasters at Knott's Berry Farm as many times and he wanted.

I love zip lining. It is expensive, but oh so exhilarating.

osewme 01-29-2020 04:23 PM

What a fun time you must have had at the game.

quiltingcandy 01-29-2020 08:24 PM

When San Diego got it's first hockey team my DH was still in the Navy and we had never gone to a hockey game. One of his buddies wanted to go and convinced my DH since we were football fans we would love hockey. So we decided to go. Well, Tothill is right - it was really loud! And on top of that, the fans were violent. One guy even threatened to beat up our friend for some reason, and the pounding on the glass. It was so bizarre to us - and we haven't been back.
We are real sports fans, we had season ticket to the San Diego Chargers for 20 years, and we have gone to the San Diego Padres games since 1974 and now my DH works for them. And my eldest DD and DH have season tickets to the SD State Football and Basketball games.