Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Happened in JoAnn Fabric parking lot. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/happened-joann-fabric-parking-lot-t115951.html)

ThreadHead 04-13-2011 07:22 PM

Just heard on the news that an elderly woman of 79 was beaten and robbed as she came out of JoAnn's in Winter Haven.
Poor thing, her whole face was black and blue and her arm had huge blue marks on them.
She was a spunky little thing. She said he was not going to stop her from going out, and she better not see him again. She said she would sit on him until the police got there.
Just be aware of your surroundings. People are needing money just to eat and they are getting desparate
Syl

amma 04-13-2011 07:40 PM

What a horrific story! I am glad that she is okay enough to be feeling that spunky :D:D:D

cjomomma 04-13-2011 07:42 PM

That's just plain crazy. It takes a real wimp to beat up an elderly lady.

Treasureit 04-13-2011 07:51 PM

All seniors should travel in pacts now! Take a buddy when you go out.

moonwork42029 04-13-2011 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
All seniors should travel in pacts now! Take a buddy when you go out.

It would be wise to travel with someone regardless of your age.

Remember to be aware of your surroundings and don't look like a victim...be strong, aggressive and self confident.

Glad she is still spunky...it could have ended badly.

Candace 04-13-2011 07:59 PM

Stupid crook probably made off with her fabric too!

Vanuatu Jill 04-13-2011 07:59 PM

Cowards-the lot of them!!! They'll get theirs one of these days!! I was punched in the face by a man (and I use that term loosley!) several years ago here in Vanuatu right in my own restaurant (he was drunk and I refused service) and I punched him back!! It was actually just reflex, I guess, because I never would have thought I had it in me! He was so stunned, he didn't hit me again and I pushed and shoved him outside just yelling "get out!" all the way. As soon as I got him outside, my DH came running in (a staff ran and found him working nearby) and only then did I start to feel any pain! Amazing what adrenalin can do! I have since armed myself with a metal T-Ball bat-which I call "MY EQUALIZER"!

amandasgramma 04-13-2011 08:31 PM

Disgusting. My late DH was a corrections officer. He started training me early on to hold my head UP, LOOk around and carry my keys with one key sticking out between my middle finger and my pointer. Said in that position you can hurt whoever accosts you.

Poor lady ---

crafty_linda_b 04-13-2011 10:38 PM

Threadhead..my daughter said that on Halloween she had "people" who appeared to be adults come to their door to trick-or-treat...she said she thinks that they were homeless people or druggies.. atleast that way they would get something to eat. She lives in a nice upper class neighborhood and said she was afraid they might be looking too see if she had anything they could come back later to steal. So she let her hubby who is 6' 4" tall answer the door most of the time..The econonmy is getting worse each day. I see more and more people begging for money on the street corners.
There is a 4 bedroom house on a huge lot here in town that they reduced to $50,000 and it's been for sale for over 6 months now. I has a huge shop you could fit a motor home in and a big 3 car garage but the house needs alot of work. Our daughter looked at it and said it was too much work. I am sure it will sit for another 6 months. We live in a small town of only 1000 people. There are several houses for sale and they have been for sale along time. crafty_linda_b

quiltmaker 04-14-2011 04:09 AM

That is just awful....we seem to hear of these things more and more. I think it's the economy but that doesn't make it right for these people to just go absolutely crazy! If things don't change soon I fear we're in for a lot more of this behavior.