Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Has any one noticed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/has-any-one-noticed-t198132.html)

Spice 08-21-2012 02:56 AM

try the site SEW IT"S FOR SALE It is all sewing related items.

katesnanna 08-21-2012 03:06 AM

Ebay went to heck in a handbasket when they started listing everything from every seller. Used to be only current auctions and buy now. My BFF & I got sick of trawling through hundreds of pages. I use to do fairly well out of ebay (as a seller). About $300 every 10 days, went down to one sale, maybe. After a few weeks I took everything off and shut down my store. Fees were wiping out any sales.

ljptexas 08-21-2012 03:10 AM

I noticed not so much on ebay (don't go there very often anymore) but on Craigslist, OH MY WORD! Used to be soooo simple but guess with the economy, everybody trying to make a few $. I've place things on there but so far no bites.
Even on this site have only seen yds of fabric being sold, no small pieces.
I really refuse to buy new fabric!!! Need to use up my stashes......

marymay 08-21-2012 03:47 AM

I use to buy from Ebay too. But the cost of shippong is crazy.I bought a hand made purse $12.99>Not bad .The shipping was $6.99 crazy. I haven't bought anything in over a year from ebay.

kat13 08-21-2012 04:25 AM

I just bought a 99k from ebay, I needed a small machine to fit in an antique cabinet I have. It should arrive tomorrow, with shipping the total was 100.00. It comes with attachments also. :)

Pieces2 08-21-2012 04:58 AM

You could sell your fabric here. (?) Maybe too many people were not satisfied with the fabric they purchased.
Instead of 'good' quality fabric they were getting cheap fabric. (?) Too many quilters got burned.

Scakes 08-21-2012 05:13 AM

From a buyer's point of view, I personally have slowed down on buying on Ebay. Seems like the prices are lots higher than they were and by the time you add in shipping , it just isn't a good deal too often.

Carly in SC 08-21-2012 05:38 AM

Hey Sandy,

What kind of machine? What model,?? I am a machine addict and one more wouldn't hurt much. Carly

Morag 08-21-2012 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltNama (Post 5454002)
My husband used to sell on ebay all the time. The last few items he listed to sell cost him so much in fees that he has not sold anything else for quite awhile. Now he lists on CL and some other places.

My dd has stopped selling on e-bay for the same reasons......

bearisgray 08-21-2012 06:13 AM

1) The seller still pays a fee to PayPal for items paid through PayPal. For me, it's $0.30 PLUS 2.9% of the entire transaction. That really hurts on a $3.00 transaction ($0.30 + $0.09 = $0.39)

2) Yes, postage adds up. But so does gas if driving around to the various shops.

3) Packaging materials (tape, envelopes, plastic bags, etc.) are not free. Priority Rate packaging (envelopes and boxes) are 'free' - but, the packaging costs are built in to the cost of using Priority Rate mail.

People are kind of funny at times (including me) - sometimes we think nothing of driving 100 miles round trip for a $2.00 item (at a fuel cost of approximately $15.00 or more) - and fuss and fume at paying $3.00 for shipping for the same item.

4) As far as getting 'a house full of fabric for $5.00' - I consider those deals to be in the same category as getting a big win gambling. It happens, but the majority of the time, it doesn't.