Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Has Anyone Heard of This Happening? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/has-anyone-heard-happening-t234637.html)

tessagin 11-13-2013 07:59 AM

Always make sure your gates are locked from the inside of the yard. It happens all over. We've always had dogs that weighed about 40-50 lbs and never really had to worry. But we keep our gates locked. Then we got Brutus who only weighs about 25 lbs. He doesn't venture into the backyard at all much. When we first got him he was almost snatched by a turkey buzzard. The other 2 larger ones chased after and Brutus ran to the corner. I had to retrieve him, he was scare stiff and shook so bad. He never forgot that. He hates any birds. Depending on the type and size of dogs and locks on gates will help determine the amount of security you need to avoid pet theft. Most larger dogs can take care of themselves and will let all know of intruders.

auntpiggylpn 11-13-2013 08:13 AM

This past summer in our city there was a white van with the words "Animal Control" painted in black paint on it. This van was witnessed taking animals out of yards and the streets. Our REAL animal control vans are white with green lettering and various other printings such as reminders to spay and neuter your animals. Many pets in the vicinity that this van was sited were reported missing. So yes, monitor your animals when they are outside especially if you live in the city. We have a 6 foot wooden privacy fence. We don't worry as much about our shepherds (great barkers!) but we do monitor our 10lb Pomeranian because we have seen some hawks and falcons sitting on the telephone pole that is just outside our fence.

Lori S 11-13-2013 08:15 AM

Yes I have heard of this and its despicable. I am not so concerned about my big baby as he lets me know when someone approaches the fence. I was extremely cautious when I had two Saint Bernard puppies at one time. I was out walking them one day and someone passed me and asked if they were pure breds. I said yes... and then they commented " they are expensive dogs"... just the way it was said gave me reason to be concerned.

blondeslave 11-13-2013 09:17 AM

Don't forget coyotes. We were driving near our street last month and spotted one in a yard in the middle of the day. We have 3 bassets at 50 pounds plus and usually more than one is out at a time. The hounds are never out unless we're home and generally we're either out with them or close to the door.

mary quilting 11-13-2013 01:02 PM

It is the head line on the news to night. on ch 11 in Atlanta Ga they called it dog flipping.

MaureenT 11-13-2013 01:16 PM

Yes and I live in rural farm country, and they are stealing them from farms for dog fights. Our beloved pets become bait. Hate it!

Central Ohio Quilter 11-13-2013 01:20 PM

Yes, I have heard of dog napping around here also.

My daughter's miniature poodle was snatched from her fenced-in back yard near Denver by a coyote. Part of his body with his collar was found about a mile away from their house. My daughter and her family were devastated!

EllieGirl 11-13-2013 03:13 PM

I've heard of it. We have a 6' wooden fence all around our yard. If our dog doesn't make any noise, no one would even know she was in there. We have the 6' fence because our other dog climbed over the chain link to get out, so we changed it. I think if you make sure the fence is locked, with a padlock, your dogs will be fine.

lockesnest 11-13-2013 03:26 PM

Several years ago my parents' Boston Terrier was taken right out of their yard by the, wait for it,........Dog Patrol! Had our neighbor not seen it they might never have recovered their precious pup.

Sandygirl 11-13-2013 06:31 PM

I knew someone who had a very expensive hunting dog.....stolen from their yard. One time my husband came home to find our Cardigan Welsh Corgi sitting on the outside of the fenced yard. He runs really fast and i assume that he escaped being picked up. We padlock our fence gate now. Scary.

Sandy