Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Has anyone here had this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/has-anyone-here-had-t126682.html)

Painiacs 05-30-2011 08:11 AM

2nd opinion! It's hard to see our babies suffer no matter how old they are!!

julia58 05-30-2011 08:24 AM

I will keep your daughter in my thoughts and prayers. Hope she recovers quickly. There is not much worse than the feeling of not being able to do anything but wait. Take care.

grammiepamie 05-30-2011 08:38 AM

Always get a second opinion!!!!!!

oma66 05-30-2011 10:54 AM

I had rheumatic fever when I was 9 (almost 60 yrs. ago) and I was in bed a year with it and it left me with a heart murmer that the Lord healed when I was in my 30's. I remember the pain well. I had to exercise twice a day and it was painful. I don't think they treat rheumatic fever the same way these days. I am praying for Darcy and you. I understand all too well how she feels. Even after 60 yrs. I well remember that year in bed.

hopetoquilt 05-30-2011 05:13 PM

I don't know what the laws in your state say but in the local districts in my county and possibly state wide, when a child is out of school for a set amount of time (I believe 2 weeks) FOR MEDICAL REASONS, the school district is required to send an at home tutor for that child. Your child should not have been forced to drop out of highschool. They should be doing something for you. Call the school. If you get nowhere, call a child advocate or lawyer who SPECIALIZES in this. Get a firm outline of exactly how they will help you with timelines!! Then give them some $$. PM me if you have questions. I will help you research to the best of my ability. I work in a school district and we are here to help kids. Best of luck.

Naturalmama 05-30-2011 05:39 PM

I'd get another opinion - at least you'll feel better about it!! ***hugs*** to you both!!!

scrappy happy 05-30-2011 05:50 PM

Hi I had rheumatic fever as a kid, I was in the 7 grade. and I to had to be out of school for 6 weeks, I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. I don't remember being in any pain except for my knee I had hit it and it swelled up , that is how they found out I had it. I also was sleeping a lot. I can remember when I was in school and we had to run it felt like i had bricks on my feet. I was getting penicillin shot for a long time. plus I also was taken penicillin pills for a long time. left me with a heart murmer, But now that I'm older they docs say they cant not hear it anymore. I now am 65. The treatment today I would think would be different that when I had it. I have lived a normal life. Hang in there it will take time, Hugs to you and your daughter.
P.s. I to had strep throat before I had found out I had rheumatic fever. If you want to pm you sure can.

cjr 05-30-2011 08:54 PM

Our daughter had rheumatic when she was 7 yrs old. She is now 47. It was rare back then, only discovered because of excellent pediatrition. Very scary. We had to enroll her in public school (she was in a private school)for the state to send a tutor to our home3 -4 times per week. State paid for tutor, who ended up being her regular teacher. She was out of school from Jan to the following Sept.

Following the rheumatic fever she was put on daily penicillium for many many years to keep strep away. In high school she went out for cheerleading, made the team and also cheered in college. She started running and has competed in triatholns, and to this day runs almost daily. A few years ago she was taken off the pencillium. She is a very busy mother of 3. I think she still has a slight murmur, but otherwise very healthy.

For your daughter the most important thing to do immediately is listen to her DR. If she needs bed rest, there is no substitute. Talk to guidance councler of her school for tutoring services.

Rheumatic fever is always preceeded by a strep infection that never quite goes away. Sometimes it goes into a kidney infection before the rheumatic fever shows itself. Be very grateful your Dr found it.

Keeping you in my prasyers. They helped my daughter like nothing else.

Ida 05-30-2011 09:09 PM

My sister was ten back in 1952 when she became ill. She was in the hospital for 30 days, but they couldn't figure out what it was. When she was 15 they discovered her heart was affected and finally figured out it was rheumatic fever brought on by a strep infection. Her mitral valve had to be replaced eight (8) times, starting when she was 18. She is in the medical records. She married and had two children who are now 49 and 47.

Your daughter will be in my prayers. I know it's tough, but God will see you through.

J Carol 05-31-2011 03:21 AM

Have you gotten a second opinion on the diagnosis? if not you might want to get another opinion. Good luck and hope she starts to feel better.