Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Has anyone read this about teaching your children? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/has-anyone-read-about-teaching-your-children-t89930.html)

AngieS 01-12-2011 02:00 PM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...528698754.html

I thought this was interesting. I honestly didn't realize how hard these mothers are on their kids. It would explain how they do so well in academics.....if that's the case. I can't imagaine though. I barely have time to do all I do to add to standing over my kids like I am picturing.

Angie

grann of 6 01-12-2011 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by AngieS
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...528698754.html

I thought this was interesting. I honestly didn't realize how hard these mothers are on their kids. It would explain how they do so well in academics.....if that's the case. I can't imagaine though. I barely have time to do all I do to add to standing over my kids like I am picturing.

Angie

In other words, they were never allowed to be "children". I think that is just pathetic. So what if they don't EXCEL! My DD struggled through high school working very hard for her grades; played flute in the school band after taking free lessons provided by the school. She went to college and worked very hard for every grade she got, graduated from an excellent college with a 3.98 in her major; ended up getting an accounting job, for which she just is finishing her last week. She is 47 years old and is about to retire after being bought out by the company. She was CFO (Chief Finanacial Officer) with hundreds of employees under her. The point is, she was allowed to have a very enjoyable childhood riding horses, having sleepovers and friends. She and my son-in-law have 2 homes, one being a 200 acre farm in the mountains, in addition to their near-million$ home here. I don't regret for a minute allowing her to grow up normally, or her brothers who are all successful too.

quiltsRfun 01-12-2011 03:16 PM

I thought it was pretty severe. Some of the "nevers" I thought should be "seldom." And grades not less than an A? Always the best at whatever they do? For some kids that might work but for others it would be just too much pressure. Wonder how these kids are going to turn out 10-20 years down the road.
We have enough pressure as adults. Why not let a kid be a kid!

MadQuilter 01-12-2011 03:50 PM

And I thought I had it rough with my old-fashioned German mom.

Ramona Byrd 01-12-2011 04:24 PM

One of my sisters was always on my case, saying that we always had our kids firmly under our thumbs.

Darn right we did, they were the kids and we were the parents, it was our job to see that they got the education to make it on their own in this world. We removed our son from Little League because of the nastiness of the other kids' parents, we made darn sure we knew all their friends (they seemed to live at our house) and in the end they all are good, solid citizens.

My sister's kids? One is a violent wife and child beater, no family now, one is a homeless druggy, and one after being "not too nice" is now religious, well, overly religious. And sister? She had to move to an over 50s mobile home to get away from unwanted baby sitting because of her kids' lack of discipline of the Grands. Most of the family don't allow them inside the front door for various reasons.

Maybe the Chinese have a good thing going. Perhaps a few hours per month for playing? Sewing?

We used to go to Yosemite Valley and saw several Chinese families there, they had the most charming children and they were so well behaved, like our own Mennonite kids. Far, far
better than the usual type of kid who goes to public places.

wanderingcreek 01-12-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
And I thought I had it rough with my old-fashioned German mom.

I had very strict old fashioned German parents too and wasn't allowed to do any of the "fun" things my friends could but I did play basketball.

cheryl rearick 02-04-2011 05:06 PM

For me there is a key word it is called RESPECT. I remember my son had a friend over it was my sons night to wash dished. (by hand) I asked his friend to help. :) He says to me Oh, I do not do dishes. Well, he did help and ask I never tell his mom. He also did not cuss in my home, children from all ages enjoyed my home as I enjoyed them and we all gave respect. Yes. I was the adult but I still showed respect. Didn't have to crack any whips, make anyone over work, OR UNDER work. WE ALL WORKED TOGETHER... That made it a home. I believe we each have to find our own way, in raising children. If we are not disciplined, how can we expect our children to be. They come to talk to us, do we listen or say later, I am busy. ??? Guess we all have our way. lol :)