Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have you ever received a call saying your computer called them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-ever-received-call-saying-your-computer-called-them-t246947.html)

seasaw2mch 05-17-2014 09:01 AM

Have you ever received a call saying your computer called them?

Well this has happened to me twice in the past 6 months. Of course I'm not that stupid as I know full well my computer doesn't call anyone and since I haven't had it on line in over a month I'm more then sure it didn't.

So I decided to go look into this a bit further to see what scams are going on and it brought me to this website that explains how this type of scam works.

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-s...-and-trash-pc/

I have looked at several website that talk about this but this one has the best explanation I've seen and since the person recorded most of the scam you can hear it as well.

SO be informed, and don't let someone take you for a ride on this.

quiltingcandy 05-17-2014 09:07 AM

There are so many scams out there it is incredible. We just had a warning this morning on the news due to the fires there will be a lot of scams trying to collect for the fire victims. This is so very, very sad.

We donate to Yosemite all the time. We got a call telling us that we can donate directly via a credit card or out of our checking account. Really? I am going to give a stranger on the phone that called me my credit card or bank account info. Are we that trusting? I don't think so!!!

crafty pat 05-17-2014 09:21 AM

I got the very call they are talking about. I told him thank you for letting me know I have a problem I will take it to my repair shop today.Then I hung up on him and never got another call like that. He speaks so bad you can hardly understand what he is saying. I knew right away it was a scam.

Chasing Hawk 05-17-2014 09:32 AM

I get calls saying my computer is in serious dire need of help. They claim my system has this deadly virus only they can cure.

I tell them........My computer is cleaner than most, I scan it daily for malware and twice a week it gets one of those really long virus scans. I set the virus scans to be done while I sleep and I do the malware scans before I go to bed.

ptquilts 05-17-2014 09:35 AM

tell them, "my computer told me not to talk to you..."

Doggramma 05-17-2014 10:45 AM

PTQUILTS: Hahaha! Scammers/scummers will stoop pretty low.

M.Elizabeth 05-17-2014 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat (Post 6720284)
I got the very call they are talking about. I told him thank you for letting me know I have a problem I will take it to my repair shop today.Then I hung up on him and never got another call like that. He speaks so bad you can hardly understand what he is saying. I knew right away it was a scam.

My husband also received this call with the accent and poor language usage. When he hung up and checked the web, he also found it is a SCAM!

nativetexan 05-17-2014 02:40 PM

well that's a new one!!! I've begun telling callers that whom ever they are calling no longer live here. then if they go on i tell them I'm just renting and no knowing about the owner or house.

Bonnie 05-18-2014 04:16 AM

Yes I did about 2 years ago and they were relentless, called about daily for several months, saying they were from Microsoft and my puter was sending them messages. My caller ID gave the numbers that they were using and they were cell numbers, I called one of them back out of pure frustration and the person was very upset and contacted the police (it was a Calif. number) Turns out they had hacked his phone. Last call I got was on Thanksgiving day while having dinner with the family and my oldest daughter took the phone and went off on him and didn't hear anything again till a few months ago, then I cut loose on him again and haven't had another call since then. Good luck!!!!

Dretha 05-18-2014 04:28 AM

Not only have I gotten this call but I was at my mother's one day and she got that call. My mother doesn't even have a computer. I told him that she didn't even own a computer so how did her computer call them. He said well that is the information that was passed to him. I informed him that I knew this was a scam and not to call back. He told me to shut up. I then hung up.