Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have you ever seen a piebald deer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-ever-seen-piebald-deer-t228861.html)

Dollyo 08-27-2013 07:17 AM

Have you ever seen a piebald deer?

2 Attachment(s)
DH is walking down the hallway and thinks he sees some dogs playing in the front yard. Takes a closer look and thinks, "no, they're goats". Then realizes that they are fawns. One, the normal brown and one that is mostly white w/brown spots on it's head. Takes some pics thru the screen and window. Not very clear. Forward a week, coming into the driveway at about 1:30 and there they are again. No time for pics. Another week goes by, DH is going out on the deck and there they are, coming up from the river w/momma. He stage whispers to me to get the camera. I got several pics. Sorry the pics are so far away, forgot to zoom in. He or she is a piebald deer. A genetic mutation w/a Roman nose and shorter legs. Always born as one of a set of twins. Happily, it is illegal to shoot a white deer in Michigan.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]432490[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]432492[/ATTACH]

Mariposa 08-27-2013 07:21 AM

Neat! Thanks for sharing this! I learned something new~

Neesie 08-27-2013 07:21 AM

What wonderful pictures! I've never seen a piebald deer, before! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Grandma Bonnie 08-27-2013 08:18 AM

Neat pictures! New one for me, too. Nice that you have them so close to you!

Sandra in Minnesota 08-27-2013 08:48 AM

Great pictures - thanks for sharing.

Jingle 08-27-2013 09:53 AM

I have heard of a malatto, not sure of the spelling. Never heard of piebald deer. Don't think we have those or I haven't heard that name.

blondeslave 08-27-2013 10:40 AM

Thanks for sharing-we've got lots of deer but i've never seen a white one. Keep posting pics if you get more.

mighty 08-27-2013 04:20 PM

That is really something to see, thank you for the pic's!!!!!!!

alfosa421 08-27-2013 04:31 PM

here too.We have an albino wondering over in the next township.Supposed to be a sign from the Indian gods

jeank 08-27-2013 04:56 PM

this was a new term to me. I learned it is different than an albino. this is what I found:

A piebald is an animal, usually a horse, that has a spotting pattern of large white and black patches. The color of the horse’s skin underneath its coat may vary between black (under the black patches of hair) and pink (under the white patches). The coloring is generally asymmetrical. Many animals also exhibit coloration of the irises of the eye that match the surrounding skin. This condition also occurs in white-tailed deer.

A genetic variation (defect) produces the piebald condition in white-tailed deer, not parasites or diseases. Piebald deer are colored white and brown similar to a pinto pony. Sometimes they appear almost entirely white. In addition to this coloration, many have some of the following observable conditions: bowing of the nose (Roman nose), short legs, arching spine (scoliosis), and short lower jaws. This genetic condition is rare with typically less than one percent of white-tailed deer being affected.