Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have you had your DNA done? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-had-your-dna-done-t286390.html)

Jan in VA 02-25-2017 05:00 PM

Have you had your DNA done?

After a couple of chats here on the board about the countries we're from, I was wondering how many of us have had their DNA done? What was your experience, what did you learn that surprised you?

Jan in VA

Anniedeb 02-25-2017 06:45 PM

Yes, I just did! For me it confirmed a lot of what I already knew, as in English, Irish, French. However, we were always told that my great-great grandmother on my mom's side, was Native American, but my DNA came back as less than 1%. The other surprise was the 17% Iberian Peninsula. Now I have more research to do. I used Ancestry for mine, and it was fairly quick. Through that I was able to view connections with 4th and 5th cousins. We sent in DH's and are waiting for his results, which will be interesting, in that his mom always said she didn't know about her family's history. I found it very exciting and interesting!

Kassaundra 02-25-2017 06:52 PM

I haven't, but I have about 3 friends who have, all were glad they did it. All 3 got somewhat of a surprise or unexpected part of an answer.

quiltingshorttimer 02-25-2017 07:00 PM

AnnieDeb--a question--since there's research that many Irish share DNA with Iberian Penisula DNA does Ancestry specify that or give any information on it?

My husband wants this for his birthday and I'll get it for him. I've not had an interest cause I have very complete genealogy records on both sides going back many generations to Europe. There are a few gaps, but wondered if the DNA tests fill that in enough to make it worthwhile?

cashs_mom 02-25-2017 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 7772595)
AnnieDeb--a question--since there's research that many Irish share DNA with Iberian Penisula DNA does Ancestry specify that or give any information on it?

My husband wants this for his birthday and I'll get it for him. I've not had an interest cause I have very complete genealogy records on both sides going back many generations to Europe. There are a few gaps, but wondered if the DNA tests fill that in enough to make it worthwhile?

I have the same so I'm not going to do the DNA. Besides I want to know the people not just that I have some random DNA from a certain area. If they share the same DNA, they probably won't be able to specify.

I like to know a bit about things, like how my ancestors came from France to the US and then 2 of the sons left PA and moved west to Iowa. I even know bits and pieces about their trip. I find that fascinating.

Kassaundra 02-25-2017 09:04 PM

I have almost no information on either side of my family, but doubt I would ever fork over $100 for the dna info, it's just not that important to me.

patski 02-25-2017 09:22 PM

my son had it done and it came back 16 % in known!

Anniedeb 02-25-2017 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 7772595)

Yes, Ancestry gives you pretty detailed information regarding the connections to other countries. In my case, it was the French connection, followed by the English and Irish. The maps are great, and they give you a lot of historical information as well. Since I belong to Ancestry, it also connects you to people you share DNA with. I've gotten verified information from their trees, allowing me to fill in some gaps. I have done extensive research on both sides of my family and have over 1,000 people in my tree so far. I've collected dozens of documents, and records. I've done this for several years, and it is an incredible, fascinating journey. I felt it was well worth the money. My English roots are documented back to the 1600's, but the Irish side is very thin, due to ancestors named John and Mary and very common Irish surnames! Just found out that my grandfathers first cousin was married to a very famous song-writer who wrote a very famous "Irish" song! We're waiting on DH's results now!

Jan in VA 02-26-2017 12:01 AM

Ancestry DNA isn't just about "your family", as in 3rd, 4th or 7th cousins, etc. It tells you where your 'heritage' came from even hundreds of years ago. They send it to you online in charts and graphs and maps that are very easy to read, down to even 1% of your DNA. You also receive lists of probability matches of people currently living who may be related to you up to a few generations....like 4th/5th cousins. But it's the distant past information that makes your DNA intriguing.

For instance, I knew I was of English extraction; my direct antecedents on Daddy's side trace to the Jamestown Colony in the early-mid 1600s and I have that written genealogy. But, unlike my blood daughter, I am MUCH more Scot mixed in with my Great Britain, where she is more Irish/Great Britain. We are both Scandinavian as well, with a smaller percentage western Europe, but very little else, surprisingly. Guess we're Vikings to the core! They raided all the western Europen area "back in the day," LOL!
Her dad is of direct Irish/German descent, but that one link is unlikely to have caused the difference between our charts.

That's what makes this DNA study so fascinating! Family members will have likely slightly differing DNA charts depending on which part of past DNA strands were received by whom in their distant past. I can not tell you how many people I know who seem to have none of that "Native American" blood their parents insisted their great-grandmother/grandfather/Aunt/Uncle/cousin-twice-removed had!

Ancestry recently -- for Christmas, I believe -- had a good reduced price on the test. If you're interested, watch for another discount; it's really easy and so informative to do. I hope more members share their experience here.

Jan in VA

paoberle 02-26-2017 03:27 AM

Seems like a waste of good money to me unless it needs to be done for medical reasons.