Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Have you heard? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-heard-t181588.html)

cabinqltr 03-04-2012 07:14 AM

Have you heard?

Have you heard of, or do any of you know of anyone having a Total Ankle Replacement? Just thought I would ask as our daughter is having that surgery this week. We did not even hear of it til last Oct. when she went to Dr. and was referred to a surgeon that does this. Any input would be greatly appreciated. We have been reading alot and there is a group on Yahoo for that also. Amazing ! Thanks, Ruth

QUILTNMO 03-04-2012 09:33 AM

never heard of total ankle my dh just had total hip replacement and went to rehab almost 2 and half weeks if she can go to a rehab place she will do fine and best of luck to her

Ellageo 03-05-2012 05:01 AM

Not very common is it?! My brother was scheduled for ankle replacement 2 months ago..but got cancelled for now. Last Jan. he had a knee replacement.... June a hip replacement...when he went in for his ankle, they noticed a problem with his knee...he had an infection that went into his bones..had to take out the knee, & put a 'block' in with antibiotics, plus 3x a day , given another antibiotic...His last blood work came back OK..must wait a few weeks yet, then if Ok...he gets his ankle!! He was sorta' lucky they caught the infection as early as they did. They will have to cut away more bone but can still do the surgery.I think the procedure is fine, just tell the Doc to reassure you of care to avoid infections. Wishing your Daughter the best of luck with her new ankle & a quick recovery!

TanyaL 03-05-2012 05:04 AM

Our neighbor refused an ankle replacement when the doc said he would have to be off his feet for 6 weeks. Crazy old man said he would rather have the pain than be stuck in the house for 6 weeks! Couldn't feed his own horses.

Caswews 03-05-2012 07:26 AM

Best of luck on recovery for your daughter ..

Lady Diana 03-05-2012 09:27 AM

My 90 Yr old Mom had radical foot surgery and was told she had to be off of it for several months.....they just mean not walking on it...they have really neat little scooters where you bend your knee and place your knee and lef on the scooter.. so you can get around....the patient does have to be in a wheel chair for a short time before "graduating" to the knee scooter.

quiltinggirl 03-05-2012 11:24 AM

I had to have Total Ankle Replacement surgery 5 years ago on my right ankle. I had broken this ankle several times over the years but the last time, I broke it in 3 places. My orthopedic surgeon told me I needed the replacement surgery, but I declined because I was "stuborn" and was too busy to take off from work. The surgeon went ahead and put a cast on up to my knee and I had to wear it for 5 months to hopefully give it the time it needed to heal. The pain never went away and one of the breaks kept "slipping out of place" so I decided to give in and have the replacement surgery done. The suregeon had to use a plate, screws and wires in the end but I have never regretted this surgery one bit and it has been 5 years since I had it done. I was off work for 2 weeks and never had any pain. I pray your daughter has a great outcome with her surgery as I have had.

Dakota Girl 03-05-2012 01:36 PM

I had an ankle fusion after a severe fracture 10 years ago. It was reconstructed surgically after the fracture. I was in constant pain. I finally had that ankle fused, I am thrilled with it. No pain, no limp only my ankle has a little less
movement that I have compensated for. Good luck.......

Cagey 03-05-2012 01:46 PM

I broke my ankle in 3 places and the surgeon told me I would probably need an ankle replacement in about 15 years.
I'm approaching that mark now and am feeling great - very little pain - even when the weather changes. Guess I dodged the bullet for awhile yet. Hope your daughter has a fast recovery and tell her to do exactly what the Drs tell her.

mcar 03-06-2012 05:28 AM

Yesterday I read in the Georgetown U Hospital magazine the story of an Emergency Room Doctor having his ankle replaced. It showed a picture of him on a slope on skis three months later! Keep positive and believe it can be your daughter too.