Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hawaii bound (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hawaii-bound-t221813.html)

annt59 05-20-2013 08:25 PM

We hiked up Diamond Head.

sarahspins 05-20-2013 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by annt59 (Post 6076320)
We hiked up Diamond Head.

I did this the last day of our last trip, on the day before we flew home - I don't recommend that, try to do it earlier in your trip :) It's not really that bad of a hike, but it's not fun to sit still on an airplane right after with tired muscles... all I wanted to do was just get up and walk around.

There is also a really fun fabric store in Honolulu on Kalakaua as you head north out of Waikiki, literally, it's a block north of the Ala Wai... it's called Hawaii Fabric Mart and it's right in front of Don Quiote. It's basically two floors of Hawaiian fabrics :) It's also conveniently at a bus stop if you don't have a car.

JoyjoyMarie 05-21-2013 03:32 AM

I went to Maui in '89, so I'm not necessarily up to date, but I'm a garden type person, and I loved the gardens there. Also loved snorkeling- have a wonderful trip :)

LenaBeena 05-21-2013 08:15 AM

Forgot to mention Fabric Warehouses, big stores in Kona and Hilo. :)

jbj137 05-21-2013 08:22 AM

Everything you can.
I have been twice and loved everything there was to do.

Pineapple fields

Sandrea 05-21-2013 04:45 PM

DH and I just returned from Hawaii, our third time traveling there. I love the Polynesian Cultural Center, Oh there is just so much to see and do and the atmosphere is fantastic. I liked the helicopter ride over Kilauaea (spell ?) Volcano. Neat. You must go to a luau. I don't like the "poi" but the IMU roast pig is out of this world! Only the Hawaiians know how to make that. Love the Hula dancers too. Have a great vacation!

milikaa1 05-21-2013 08:08 PM

Pearl Harbor, Dole Plantation , Hanauma Bay, Germains luau (I would make reservations)...you can rent a car and drive around the island, you could drive up the Pali and go to the look out, that is neat. there is lots to see....You can go to the stadium for your souvenirs, I think they still sell fabric there too an FYI, some of the areas can be a little scary, don't leave anything in your car and just know your surroundings....Oh, and Zippys has great food and Mc Donalds now has a teri burger on special.....

carolynjo 05-22-2013 08:37 AM

Try to see the Hawaiian Quilt Museum also.

RugosaB 05-22-2013 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by MarleneC (Post 6075020)
Honolulu has a great zoo

32 years ago we went to HA for our honeymoon, 5 islands. Of course we had to go to the zoo. It was small, and obviously needed some time to grow, but it seemed well taken care of. (I'm in the Toledo area, known for it's outstanding zoo, so use that to judge others)

Then, a few years ago our navy son was taking some class in HA, and we thought, if we don't go now, we never will again. We just went to Oahu, and of course, visited the zoo. How it had grown!
The first time we went , they had about 10 Galapagos tortoises, and for some reason, they all came over to see me. They were kind of small, and seemed full of energy. For years we've been laughing about that. Then, when we went the second time, though the tortoises were bigger, and slower, again, a group of 6 or so came over to me. It took them awhile, but I waited for them. Now we laugh that they remembered, and were just saying "How, you been?" Who knows, maybe they'll meet my grandchildren, I guess they live a long time

Ben went to the Memorial with us, in his uniform, that was very moving
I came back with a few pieces of fabric, but I can't remember where they came from.

Enjoy your visit!

borntoquilt 05-24-2013 12:53 PM

WOW! Thanks everybody. I have printed off replies and high lighted all spots of interest. Already packed with important paperwork in suitcase. I think I may have to stay longer than a week.. lol !! 17 days but NOT counting..... tee hee!! You all are a great help.... THX again!!