Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Heads up about some food prices. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/heads-up-about-some-food-prices-t113154.html)

DebsShelties 04-03-2011 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
That makes me sad! We got a Keurig for Christmas and just love it!!!! The k-cups are kind of pricy now, so I really don't want to see how high they will go.

I have one of these, got the adapter to do my own coffee, as the K-cups are expensive. The adapter is well worth it.

annyroony2 04-03-2011 01:43 PM

LOL, I believe I will take the gallon of gas too!!!

jaciqltznok 04-03-2011 02:25 PM

between crop failures, the gas to grow those crops, the gas to move those crops, etc...these are only a small drop in the SUPER huge prices we all soon be dealing with....find those local co-ops NOW and join them before they get too costly to join as well,, many only allow so many members a year and require a certain amount of $$ up front!

happyscrappy 04-03-2011 04:42 PM

ok, so why shake the tomato plants? for better production as a result of less competition? never heard of that before but if that is the reason, wouldn't it just produce larger tomatoes? also, would i freeze the coffee beans? thanks for the info.

sewnsewer2 04-03-2011 05:08 PM

Oooooo, guess we'd better stock up on chocolate and freeze it! :lol:

Thanks for the heads up.

pittsburgpam 04-03-2011 05:09 PM

I don't want to go without my coffee and sugar!!! I have a couple of cans in my storage closet and a 5 gallon bucket full of sugar. Need more buckets anyway so maybe sugar is what to stock up on.

Last time I was at Food Co they had the buckets and the Gama lids for them. I thought wow... people are stocking up, aren't they?

Suzi 04-03-2011 05:15 PM

Shake the tomato plants (when they have flowers) to help with the pollination. In case you haven't noticed, our honey bee population is w-a-y down which is NOT a good thing since it's the bees that pollinate the flowers.

Jingle 04-03-2011 05:15 PM

Gas and tomatoes are not that expensive here. We will keep buying because that is what we do.

Take a small paintbrush and rub it around inside of each tomato flower and you can polinate them yourself, without taking a chance of breaking the plant. This will work on any fruits or vegetables that flower.

damaquilts 04-03-2011 05:48 PM

I just bought some tomato plants today. I will most definately do the paint brush thing.

Food prices are undbeivable. I usually buy myself some shrimp once a month or every other month as a treat. I nearly choked yesterday when I saw it had gone from $6 to $13 a lb in one month and these are the frozen ones.
They are going to have a whole lot of grumpy women. Take away My coffee and chocolate and I am Not happy.

CarrieAnne 04-03-2011 06:11 PM

Coffee has really started to rise lately!