Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Heel pain\ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/heel-pain%5C-t262497.html)

sdeaaz 03-11-2015 05:09 PM

Heel pain\

Do any of you get heel pain when you are sewing for a long time?

Laurajbr 03-11-2015 05:26 PM

Yes. But my answer comes with spelling challenges. Using the foot pedal triggers my plantar fasciitis.(sp?) There are specific stretches for this, but the one that works best for me is to take off my shoe and place the arch of my foot and roll the ball under me foot, pressing into the arch.
It relaxes the tendon that is pulling through my foot to my heel. You can look up the stretches on line, but tbe tennis ball works very well for me. I keep it next to the pedal and use it when I am hand stitching.
It drives my dog nuts! She just looks at me like I am an idiot who does not understand what tennis balls are for!

NJ Quilter 03-11-2015 06:45 PM

I have the same issue as Laurajbr but not from sewing. I've had no success with the exercises she does. What my chiro recommended was to put ball of foot on a step and stretch heels downward. I'm terrified I'll fall doing this, so I just pull the ball of my foot toward me and stretch out my leg as far as the tendon will allow. If I remember to do this on a regular basis, I have no issues.

miriam 03-12-2015 12:52 AM

You could use a knee controller.

ptquilts 03-12-2015 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 7124361)
I have the same issue as Laurajbr but not from sewing. I've had no success with the exercises she does. What my chiro recommended was to put ball of foot on a step and stretch heels downward. I'm terrified I'll fall doing this, so I just pull the ball of my foot toward me and stretch out my leg as far as the tendon will allow. If I remember to do this on a regular basis, I have no issues.

This works for me too (stairs) - do it on a staircase with two handrails for stability.

lclang 03-13-2015 04:53 AM

If your machine allows it, use a knee lever, if not use the other foot. It's awkward for a while but like anything else, you'll get used to it. Maybe try a small pillow to make your foot more level so there is not so much pressure on your heel...

jothesewer2 03-13-2015 06:11 AM

Dr recommended to friend to use about a 6" piece of PVC pipe about 5" diameter, cut in half, so you have a half moon shape, put it on the floor, roll the ball of your foot back and forth over the curve. Really helps.

miriam 03-13-2015 08:35 AM

If you look in the pharmacy you might find something you can put in your shoes.

sailsablazin 03-13-2015 12:47 PM

Plantar Fascitis? I am a pro at this one! Use the tennis ball and roll your foot on it. Also, fill a small pop bottle with water and freeze it. Roll the bottle under your foot to ease the pain. Also, wear orthotics or Birkenstocks---NEVER go barefoot--- Not even to get up in the night time to go to the restroom!!! My orthopedic surgeon suggested the Birkenstocks--he wears them all day at work and in the operating room. As long as I wear them constantly, I have not had a problem with Plantar Fascitis. Birkenstocks are reasonable on QVC.

Jannie 03-13-2015 08:04 PM

When I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, I was told to do the stretching exercises, have good shoes with good support, buy some inserts, and never go without my shoes--even to go to the bathroom at night which is about 15 steps. I was faithful in wearing my shoes for over a year and I generally don't have any problems with it now. If I feel it coming on, I start the stretching exercises and it goes away. When I am sitting in my chair at night watching tv if I will just stretch my heels down with toes coming up and I can feel the tension and it helps a lot. Some times before getting out of bed in the morning, I will stretch my heels. I don't seem to have problems while I am sewing so can't help you there. Maybe like others have suggested try a knee pedal.