Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help for abused children (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-abused-children-t92071.html)

CarrieAnne 01-19-2011 08:41 PM

What a great group you are!
HHHMMMMMMMM, just brainstorming here, not sure what might work for you...
Maybe a huge rummage and bake sale with donations?
A big dinner, like a chilli or spaggetti meal, members could cook, Donated food, and sell tickets. Our local animal shelter has a resturaunt that donates food forthis type of thing.They also have a bunch of raffel items that night from things people have donated. I try to supply a quilt.
Just some ideas...

Ditter43 01-19-2011 09:08 PM

:thumbup: :D :thumbup: Thank you for doing a valuable service!!

wolfkitty 01-19-2011 09:15 PM

Thank you for being there for the kids!

sharon b 01-19-2011 09:40 PM

Check with Walmart they use to have a monthly program of donating gift cards - Pepsi has their thing going on at the moment -

trisha 01-19-2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by kathome
Thanks for your ideas and for your thanks too.

I've thought about making items to raffle/auction, but I am the only one in the group who quilts, crochets or does any "crafting". I also spend a good deal of time on the secretarial work for the group and work as well. I simply can't produce enough to auction off.

Guardians of the Children also support local charities and often they are the ones who reap the rewards of our efforts. This March we are having a bowling fund raiser and hope to make some money from that event.

All you need is one quilt, or one quilt and maybe a wall hanging, take it to a bike rally, or gathering where there are going to be a lot of people and auction it or them off. I make quilts for our Civil War Re-enactments and from Fri. to Sunday, you can make a lot of money with even just one quilt. Tickets go for 6 for five dollars, or a dollar each. Most people will buy the five dollars worth.
All nyou have to do is get permission from the people having the event you are going to, and make a sign telling why you are auctioning it off.
Good Luck, and blessing on you all.

missgigglewings 01-19-2011 10:15 PM

We have a group here in San Antonio that do exactly the same thing that you all do. the group is called CASA. They work closely with the children's shelter and the abused women's shelter.
A great organization and just like your wonderful group they struggle with obtaining grant money and donations.There are so many 501(c)s out there and with the economy and budget cuts there is not enough money to go around. A few years ago I wrote the Articles of Incorporation for a local group of musicians called Blues for Shoes. All they wanted to do was hold fund raisers to buy every child who needed them a new pair of shoes when school started each year. They were never approved for a grant and just gave up!

Ann63 01-19-2011 11:06 PM

I think auctioning quilts are a good idea. You could ask people on the board to make a block or donate fabric. Maybe find a local quilter to quilt it for you.

Rainy Day 01-19-2011 11:26 PM

Maybe ask some of the on line stores who are on this board to donate some themed fabrics, like these:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90722-1.htm

And then raffle them - most people will donate $5.00 for a chance to win a quilt, but will not bid high on one item. Maybe even a first second and third prize? Remember Fried Green Tomatoes, and how they 'sold'the business for $10.00? Maybe asking some of the detailers that do work on your bikes, bodies or leathers for a donation of a custom job?
I would be happy to donate a block, I make bandanas for my husbands cycling group, which is made up of cancer survivors, and the guys are on at me to make quilts for them.
I have seen sites where you click to make a donation - haven't seen one for a while though.
Making the children feel safe is how you are helping them. Keep doing that, and do it well, and they will begin their healing journey.
Thank you
Rain

Maiziedo 01-20-2011 01:32 AM

Bravo for you and your troops!!!!!!!!Keep up the good work. I don't have any ideas, just wanted to give you the thumbs up.

feline fanatic 01-20-2011 08:46 AM

Kathome, What a wonderful cause for a motorcycle club! I also ride (HD Roadking) and up until about a year ago was very active in my HOG chapter. I have made several HD T-shirt quilts that we sold raffle tickets for during the course of the year. We have done incredibly well with the raffle proceeds, usually close to $1000. We sell tickets at $5 a pop but I had long advocated dropping the price to $1 thinking we will make much more in volume. People are a lot quicker to drop a buck then a five. But if you do a one ticket for $1 6 for $5 you may make a lot both ways!
Key is exposure. Hopefully you hold other events that invite other clubs to attend, like the aformentioned poker runs, toy runs etc. This is when we had our biggest ticket sales. We had the quilt out for all who attended to see and a table set up with members selling raffle tickets. There are usually swap meets all the time, if you can work with the organizer of the swap meet perhaps they will allow you to set up a table at no or minimal charge to display the quilt and sell tickets. I can't see any swap meet organizer not willing to give up a bit of space for free for such a great and noble cause.

Our local dealership was kind enough to display the quilt all year and if someone came in and asked they would sell them a ticket but they didn't actively try to promote ticket sales.

We asked chapter members to donate T-shirts for the cause. The chapter treasury paid for backing, batting, fusible interfacing, sashing and I donated my labor. If you are the only crafter, maybe a bunch of you could get together for a "work" party to cut out the T-shirts for blocks and iron on the fusible interface. Maybe that might interest some of the other members to try sewing a few blocks together.

What you do is wonderful and even though 99% of bikers are good, law abiding people not affiliated with an outlaw gang I think it is great that you can take on the persona of the 1%ers (outlaw bikers like Hells Angels, Banditos, Mongols, etc) to intimidate these scumbags that abuse kids. Actually the few HA that I do know wouldn't mind a bit. Even the 1%er's have big hearts when it comes to kids.