Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help with birthday party ideas..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-birthday-party-ideas-t141428.html)

trif 07-30-2011 02:07 PM

Okay so my dear husband will be 50 this September. Originally I was going to throw a surprise party but as the day gets closer his friends keep bringing up the occasion, so we decided (DH & I) he will be aware of said party. Big question: What kind or where? He really doesn't like to do outdoors things, he loves movies but is basically a home body, he does enjoy going out to dinner (yeah me)

I really didn't want a party at the house, sit and stare at each other, same for restaurant. I thought of a bowling party but he doesnt want that either.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

hopetoquilt 07-30-2011 02:17 PM

couple of quick questions:
how many people will you invite?
mostly friends or family?
coworkers?
adults or adults and kids?
What kind of budget (extravagant or simple?)

Probably one of the best parties I was at was for my brother's 40th birthday. We "roasted" him like they do on comedy channel. Gotta have some thick skin to do that but it was fun and he loved it.

What about a comedy club? Something at the beach (are you near a beach?)

Painiacs 07-30-2011 02:44 PM

Do u have video camera? Can u make a movie of short funny memories ? Act some out?

loves_2_quilt 07-30-2011 02:54 PM

I threw myself a party for a 5 year old for my 50th. I invited some kids from church that I had known since birth to The Bear Mill and we had a party!

psychonurse 07-30-2011 02:58 PM

Well I was 60 last Sept and gave myself a party The one I wanted. LOL
Since I was bornin 1950 I had a 50's theme. I amde my poodle shirk, had saddle oxfords, scarf around my neck, ring, etc.
Everyone was aksed to dress in blue jeans tshirt sleeves rolled
up. hair slicked back etc.
I ahd a dj and he played all 50's music rock and roll. The decor on the walls were posters that said rock and roll. etc
We had a hula hoop contest, a twist contest etc.
Food was bar b que , pot salad, etc. The fixins were avail
to make root beer floats.
each place setting had a mini 45 record, individual bags of pea nuts, and 8 oz cokes { they odnt make 6 oz ones now}
the center of each table either had a paper juke box or record.
colors used were turquoise and black.
for each guest They were able to have there pic taken b4 the party in front of a 56 chevy Bel air, turquoise in color.
Maybe you can adapt the 60's {what was popular} in these ideas.
There is tons of stuff to order on line.
Also each place setting had a small paper bag of 50's candy, ie candy cigarettes, brown cows? etc.
Hope this helps get your creative juices flowing .
PM me if you need web site infor. I will try to dig it up.

psychonurse 07-30-2011 03:02 PM

also my brothers roasted me. LOL

great aunt jacqui 07-30-2011 03:05 PM

you could set up an in home movie theatre and play movies from the 60's,. "Sell candy, popcorn,drinks" invitations could be movie tickets, then have a chinese food buffet. have leis, fruity drinks, etc.

trif 07-30-2011 03:21 PM

Great ideas so far, keep em coming. To answer some of the questions it will be a mixed group, adults and teens. Friends , family and coworkers approx 40 people. Haven't thought about a budget. All the men in his family have passed away in their four ties various conditions, but this is still a big milestone we are looking forward to so I want it to be special.

mommamac 07-30-2011 03:38 PM

how about a game night with 'movie trivia'

QuiltnNan 07-30-2011 03:42 PM

how about a [can't think of the name] hunt, have to go find a list of items.