Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help! Cat(s) keeps urinating on bed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-cat-s-keeps-urinating-bed-t96606.html)

roguequilter 02-04-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I would have a vet visit. He or she may have an infection and it can be dangerous if untreated. Not to be ignorant, but can you smell the urine? If it has a really strong odor he or she(one in a while) could be spraying instead of urinating. This is much harder to stop than regular urinating. I had a female who would back up to a door and spray. We finally took that door out of our house and replaced it. She constantly had infections no matter what we did for her, which caused the spraying to begin. I also used some of the cleaners from Petsmart to neutralize the odor.

agree w/sadiemae...i had a prob w/one of my best behaved furries and took him to vet. turned out he had a bladder infection. she said when they have an infection, it hurts to urinate. so they don't use their box...it is like 'if i go in the box it hurts' so they go elsewhere...even though it still hurts for some reason they will keep it up...and not use thier box. my big guy never pooped...just wet...after antibiotics...have never had another problem. but you really should ck out at vets .... if not treated can cause permanent damage to kidneys etc. good luck.

Buttons922 02-05-2011 04:00 AM

My cats did the same thing, Tried everything and what worked is place a bowl of their hard food right on your bed where they pee. A cat will NEVER pee where they eat. Good luck.

Lyn 02-05-2011 05:46 AM

UTI's and sometimes stuck hairballs will cause this. Also stress. Having 8 cats I can tell you there is one that gets stressed so I have a time out room that gives them a break from the other cats.

Theresa 02-05-2011 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Afraid it might be easier to reassemble a broken egg! Good luck!

This is toooo funny!!

hikingquilter 02-05-2011 07:18 AM

Try feeding the cats on the bed. They will not urinate where they eat. Set a little dry food in each corner of the bed and in the middle. I tried this after reading about it somewhere and it worked. I have 3 female cats. Be sure you wash all bedding and the mattress cover to remove the odor first.

Dmacc502 02-05-2011 07:45 AM

I have 7 cats. If the male has not been neutered that might be it. If he has, it might be a UTI like suggested. Try misting a little vinegar on the area, that will run them off, they won't return to the same area.

LindaJR 02-05-2011 08:23 AM

Cats are masters at hiding illness. A check up with the vet might not be a bad idea. Keeping the beroom door closed at all times will be a big help.

oldlady 77 02-05-2011 08:44 AM

I had to find new homes for my two as I didn't know which one was using the down comforter as a litter box. Vet visit was a okay. Have a friend with a warm barn where they live now. I hated to have to remove them, I love cats. I also found where one had sprayed the wall. I had tried the vinegar, orange peels, stuff that you pug in a warmer to calm them.

Mickie612 02-05-2011 09:14 AM

The only time we ever had this problem, We had just bought a new bed set. We notice a strange smell when we opened the package but thought it would go sway with time. The cats did not care for it. They kept on using it no matter what we did, finally gave it to our daughter to use as a dog house mat.

Ritacarl 02-05-2011 10:27 AM

My daughter had a cat that urinated on the bed and she ended up having to throw away a mattress. The vet said it is usually from stress of which the cat had had before my daughter got her.