Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help - Hourly Wage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-hourly-wage-t257766.html)

quilter711 12-04-2014 02:29 PM

Help - Hourly Wage

I have an interview tomorrow for teaching a children's sewing class. Children are no experience to experience. Her classes are selling out! I know that wages have a dependence on area. Would anyone have an idea of an average hourly wage? I have no idea of what to accept. Appreciate your help as always!

cathyvv 12-04-2014 03:06 PM

Not a clue, but you probably won't get rich in money doing this. I hope someone has info on this topic as I think young kids are just sponges for learning to sew.

Jeanne S 12-04-2014 03:07 PM

You have a skill that I think should be worth $20-30 per hour. But it could be more depending upon how big the classes are and how much advance preparation you have to do.

Grace creates 12-04-2014 05:13 PM

I am hoping you get a decent salary. If it is under 20 dollars per hour negotiate free supplies to make the samples, don't forget rotary blades, thread, needles etc. Then decide how much your time is worth. Hey they are making money becaause they are not only charging for the class but selling supplies as well. Hoping you get around 40 dollars per hour. If it's just an hour and a half of work, is it really worth committing yourself for 30 dollars.

quiltstringz 12-04-2014 08:21 PM

A lot of time in teaching sewing classes they pay you by the student/hour. In our area classes go for about $10 per hour and teachers are paid between $6 - $7/ hr per student. If you had 3 students you would be getting $18 per hour. Some of the shops ask you to be there a little before and after class (not paid). If they work that way and you have 4 -5 students you could make some decent play money but you probably won't get rich.

quiltingcandy 12-04-2014 10:43 PM

My husband worked for the City and they had contracted classes. All the teachers were paid based on the amount of students in the class and then a % of the class cost.

Wanabee Quiltin 12-05-2014 06:32 AM

I took my 4 grandchildren to a LQS for a quilt class where they made a placemat. You deserve an award to teach children !

nativetexan 12-05-2014 07:19 AM

yep, anywhere from $6 to $10 an hour would be what I would think offered. Good luck. have fun!!

quilter711 12-05-2014 11:38 AM

Dilemma - $12.00 hour. She is very organized. This is strictly garment sewing with progression in projects. They do have a couple of patterns they can choose from. She has 3 to 4 teachers to 10 children. No teacher has more than 3 students and the students in class can be at different levels. She has worked on simplifying some of the patterns. This will be a 25 minute commute for me each way.
I want to thank everyone that has responded. Now to make the decision!!