Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help! I need a creative change/fix... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-i-need-creative-change-fix-t130674.html)

tsp3400 06-15-2011 09:18 AM

I made my niece a turquiose and blue yellow brick road quilt, for her new big girl room. Well the color is bright purple not turquise like i thought they were painting it..good thing is her parents room is the turquiose that matches the quilt..so guess who has the oversized lap quilt now(roughly 50/60 now that cut down).Yep my db and sil..well i need to make it about twice the size because sil want's to put in on her bed as a the main piece in their room- and it's a king bed. (honored but aphrenseive)
Can I just add several layers of boarders to the yellow brick road part that is already made? would it look tacky?
I tried to find more of the fabric but without having the actual names of the fabric's I can't seem to find any more fat quarter bundles that are the same ( purchased year ago at Joann's clearance section), if so I'd just make more "squares" to add to it until large enough.
So any suggestions would be appreciated. Would it help if I added pictures? already took the piece apart-thankfully I only tied it cause it was for a kid- but will now have it quilted once finished for their bed. Thinking I will need to add at the least 2 feet all around..thinking a small solid boarder first then maybe a medium print boarder than a larger plain boarder...HELP

Vicki W 06-15-2011 09:22 AM

Photos would help:) but it sounds like you are on the right track.

tsp3400 06-15-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Vicki W
Photos would help:) but it sounds like you are on the right track.

Well once I can dig it out I will take pictures..been struggling for a few weeks and got frustrated and threw it in the closet..then I remembered all the great help this board gives..guess I should of started here first... :idea:

neeng 06-15-2011 09:30 AM

Sounds like it will work. If you need to add a lot of width, maybe a plain border first, then something pieced or appliqued, then another plain border, just for visual interest.

tsp3400 06-15-2011 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by neeng
Sounds like it will work. If you need to add a lot of width, maybe a plain border first, then something pieced or appliqued, then another plain border, just for visual interest.

OHHH..great idea..could I do that even without the beginning fabric? Maybe I could find a few pieces in my scraps..just don't remember keeping scraps when i first started... Guess the drywall hanging will have to wait tonight so I can go "scrappin"

MTS 06-15-2011 09:34 AM

A king size quilt is at least 95" square (that's with just an 8" drop all around).

Borders around the YBR center would look just fine. You might have a bit of search trying to find coordinating fabrics.

Maybe you can do some sort of pattern in the border as well, as that's a lot of space with just.......fabric.

But it's so nice to know the quilt is really wanted.

Be grateful it's not a California king. :mrgreen:

gerswin 06-15-2011 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by neeng

this sounds like the best idea and simplest. no need to match exact colors

tsp3400 06-15-2011 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
A king size quilt is at least 95" square (that's with just an 8" drop all around).

Borders around the YBR center would look just fine. You might have a bit of search trying to find coordinating fabrics. But it's so nice to know the quilt is really wanted.

Be grateful it's not a California king. :mrgreen:

So would I be better off cutting it to 50 x 50 square and using the idea above for a pieced boarder using the cut off 10 inches?

MTS 06-15-2011 09:36 AM

Don't cut anything yet. Maybe you can do something a bit different and creative with it. Not over the top out of your comfort zone. Just something out of the ordinary. ;-)

Can we see a pic?

Ramona Byrd 06-15-2011 09:37 AM

OHHH..great idea..could I do that even without the beginning fabric? Maybe I could find a few pieces in my scraps..just don't remember keeping scraps when i first started... Guess the drywall hanging will have to wait tonight so I can go "scrappin"[/quote]
---------------------------------
Be sure and take some of your fabrics with you. It'll be almost impossible to mix or match them without it, or at least that's what I've discovered over time.