Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help Me With My Kitty (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-me-my-kitty-t20498.html)

sewjoyce 05-24-2009 08:09 AM

Last night my kitty let me know he wasn't feeling well. When I went to get into bed, there were several slight wet spots. Then he jumped up on the bed and proceeded to show me he was having urination problems. This morning I got on-line and asked a vet what I should do. He suggested that I not wait until Tuesday to get him seen.

We have one emergency vet in town. When I called, the lady informed me that to basically walk in the door was going to cost $95. Well, ok. Any tests or procedures that they performed were extra. When I described his symptoms, she informed me that the cost could run between $800-$900 and more if they had to keep him until my vet opens on Tuesday.

When I informed her that I couldn't afford the costs, she advised that I "watch" him and if he gets any worse, to bring him in. Otherwise, wait until Tuesday and call my vet.

OK, I don't have $1,000+ -- but I love my kitty dearly and don't want him to be sick and/or die if I could have prevented it.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? :cry: :cry:

tlrnhi 05-24-2009 08:15 AM

Joyce, it sounds like a UTI he has.
Me? I wouldn't wait. It CAN get worse.
You are only on Sunday right now. and waiting until Tuesday might not be such a good idea.
Is there another vet just a bit further away that might not charge as much or maybe take payments?

Lisa T 05-24-2009 08:36 AM

My cat had ash crystals build up in his urinary tract and it almost killed him. The vet said that he was lucky to have made it. (I waited a couple days.)

He said this is common in neutered males and comes from eating "cheap" catfood- Meow Mix is what he was eating. So then I had to start buying this horribly expensive catfood. (It was like $45 a bag but it dissolved the ash.)

I would probably bring him in.

(I sent my husband to the vet with my cat once while I was in tears b/c I thought he was dying and they would put him down. I knew I couldn't handle it so I asked my husband to do it for me. Turned out he was constipated. I felt silly, but SO relieved.)

sewjoyce 05-24-2009 10:02 AM

Update--

When I went to change the bed, there were a couple of BIG wet spots on the bed....and he has been going down to his litterbox.

At present, he's ticked at me because I closed the bedroom door. Trying to let the mattress dry out after cleaning it and spraying with Febreeze (which I REALLY hope works!)

And he's still following me around like a little puppy dog and his ears and nose aren't quite so hot as they were earlier...

Irish Heart 05-24-2009 10:12 AM

I would watch him carefully--if he stops eating/drinking /grooming, he will need the vet. The male urethra is very narrow & if he has crystals, he will plug up & suffer from backup of urine & will not get better on his own. In severe cases, the vet will amputate the penis, open up the urethra to remove crystals & create an opening for the urine.

Shemjo 05-24-2009 10:13 AM

Take away the cheap dry food immediately and either make your own food or at least give him wet food for a bit. Dr. Fox has a web site for making your own pet food. Males are prone to UTIs, especially on regular grocery store cat food. Sorry you are having these problems on a holiday weekend, but it does seem to be the way things are. :?

sewjoyce 05-24-2009 10:16 AM

Hubby is on his way to get some kitty food specifically made for cats with urinary problems...

quiltwoman 05-24-2009 11:34 AM

Is kitty urinating blood?? Oftentimes, the cheaper cat food causes UTI problems. If kitty is peeing bloody urine, I would NOT wait to get him seen and started on meds.

HTH, and kitty feels better

Ninnie 05-24-2009 11:52 AM

So sorry your kitty is sick. Not much help here, home of dog. Hope you get him straightened out though.

Ninnie

bearisgray 05-24-2009 11:57 AM

I'm sorry your cat is ill -

I understand your quandary -