Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help for smell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-smell-t223539.html)

grandmahoney 06-12-2013 03:01 PM

Help for smell

I bought at a auction a wonder horse. This is one of those large horses that is a riding toy for kids to ride or bounce on. How old it is I really don't know buy it is old enough that the hard plastic it is made from has a really bad smell to it. I have tried bleach and hot soapy water even. But nothing has helped. I even put it under a tarp with a room air freshener and left it covered for several day but still no luck. I have even set it out in the sun hoping that would help but not even that helped. Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid of this smell. Because there is no way this horse is going to set it my house smelling like this.

Kimkankwilt 06-12-2013 03:15 PM

Some people that restore dolls use white vinegar.

tessagin 06-12-2013 03:37 PM

When I get material from estate sales, I've found that ammonia or white vinegar with Arm and Hammer detergent helps get rid of the smell. You might try the same and wipe it down but let it set outside for awhile (like a few minutes) then hose it down or wipe rinse. If it has a musty basement smell that would be your best bet.

sewmom 06-13-2013 04:42 AM

When my dad drove trucks, if there was a really bad smell like rotten meat for example, he would get large cans of ground coffee and set them in the trailer and close it up. The coffe absorbed the odor. It might work for you.

Jingle 06-13-2013 04:55 AM

If it is in the plastic, I would doubt you can remove the smell.

Wanabee Quiltin 06-13-2013 05:36 AM

Put the horse in a small enclosure with BBQ briquets (charcoal), open the bag so the charcoal is totally exposed. Works wonders. I had a basement flood once and all my antique wood furniture was there (we had just moved in) and it smelled awful afterward. The charcoal took the odor out in a few days. Good Luck.

IshtarsMom 06-13-2013 07:07 AM

Two things come to mind....

If it has absorbed into the plastic it has to soak out...maybe spraying with Febreeze and allowing to dry...then doing again and again until the plastic has absorbed it and is saturatured.

Kilz sealer/primer(oil based) works wonders for me...then paint with a pretty gloss paint....Sealed properly the odor won't get out....

Too great a find to just throw out because of the odor...something will work...

alwayslearning 06-13-2013 08:14 AM

Fabreeze does not really remove odors does it? Doesn't it just mask it with another odor?

I go for the charchol, or vinegar and baking soda. Be patient. This could take some time, but it'll be worth it!

Latrinka 06-13-2013 12:52 PM

I'd try vinegar, coffee, or charcoal.

nanacc 06-13-2013 03:24 PM

I would suggest vinegar,also. You might cover it with something soaked in vinegar and cover with plastic drop sheet to seal it in. Do not suggest vinegar and soda mixing.......foaming reaction there!!