Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help....we have ants! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-we-have-ants-t117495.html)

max's grandma 04-20-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by grammydar
Can anyone help me get rid of the ants that have invaded my kitchen?
I have tried Terro, and Borax. and still they keep coming back.
I appreciate any suggestions.

lay cornmeal on their trails, gets them everytime

quiltinghere 04-20-2011 06:47 AM

In addition to doing something on the inside -
I'd apply something to the outside perimeter of your home. They have to come in from someplace. Get a granular sprinkle

twinkle 04-20-2011 06:51 AM

I put some peppermint oil where they were getting in, which did the trick x

babyboomerquilter 04-20-2011 06:57 AM

We get them every Sring. I put out ant traps or I call them boxes and it takes a couple of weeks. Also we spray around the foundation and this really does the trick.

redturtle 04-20-2011 07:18 AM

if your going organic...

do the borax/powdered sugar mix inside...find where they are entering from...after they are gone..caulk it

find the trail outside...sprinkle cornmeal...it expands and gums up their insides...they die...

i use the cornmeal in my garden...the granulated(for under pizza crusts) not the stoneground(powdered)

okiepastor 04-20-2011 07:20 AM

Pwd. cloves work at the entry point--and plant some Tansy outside, but beware of that if you have small children or pets that eat plants---- poisonous

Ramona Byrd 04-20-2011 07:38 AM

A year or so ago I had lots of ants coming in and helping my cats eat their dry food. So on a whim I put down some white breath mints that came in individual little plastic packets in a big bag.
I forget the brand name. The ants left and I've never seen any in my house since.

Since they were a big hit in the house, I put some on an ant's nest outdoors, and they swarmed all over them and loved the mint flavor. I had to resort to my tried and true Sugar and Boric Acid mixture to get rid of them.

Tropical 04-20-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by gramarraine
We use a product called Home Defense made by Ortho. I think you can buy it at Walmart.

We use this, too. It works great on all types of insects and has no odor. I can't have anything with an odor in the house. My DH gets it at WalMart and it has a sprayer and nozzle that lets him spray it along the baseboards. He also does it all around the outside perimeter of the house. It is very safe.

Tropical 04-20-2011 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical

Originally Posted by gramarraine
We use a product called Home Defense made by Ortho. I think you can buy it at Walmart.

We use this, too. It works great on all types of insects and has no odor. I can't have anything with an odor in the house. My DH gets it at WalMart or Lowes. It has a sprayer and nozzle that lets him spray it along the baseboards. He also does it all around the outside perimeter of the house. It is very safe.

I read another post about ants outdoors. We have fire ants here and their sting is very painful and can cause allergic reactions which my DH always gets. He uses Amdro and sprinkles it around the ant hill. The ants love it and take it back to the nest and it kills everthing almost immediately. It kills other ants outside, too. He gets that at Walmart or Lowes.

Jammin' Jane 04-20-2011 07:47 AM

I sprayed Raid for ants around the perimeter of my kitchen and haven't seen any since.