Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Her name is Shelly (DD's 1st pet of her own) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/her-name-shelly-dds-1st-pet-her-own-t153946.html)

Jennifer22206 09-18-2011 01:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
as named by our 2 year old DD. :) We've already had a successful molting!!

Shelly lives in a 10 gallon glass fishtank with a few playthings. :) She's an Ecuadorian Hermit Crab, so she'll be having some playmates soon as I can find another Ecuadorian.

Shelly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]258784[/ATTACH]

blueangel 09-18-2011 01:27 PM

Awesome

emerald46 09-18-2011 02:10 PM

How fun..my kiddos loved their little crabs and all kinds of critters.

Painiacs 09-18-2011 02:10 PM

Glad the two yr old likes her!

annthreecats 09-18-2011 02:11 PM

What a cool first pet. Love the name.

Jennifer22206 09-18-2011 02:19 PM

DD makes sure there's water every day and tells me if Shelly's low on water. I gave DD an eyedropper she can add water with. and DD drops some little fruit pieces in at night (I take them out in the morning)

nycbgirl 09-18-2011 02:23 PM

Not exactly what I was expecting!!!! But I'm sure she's delightful!!

AngieS 09-18-2011 02:28 PM

We had one a few years ago. :) My kids liked it. To be honest I thought at one point we had killed it. It was left downstairs after some severe weather....we had forgotten about it. Well, we brought the little thing upstairs thinking it was dead we just left it there on the counter for a little while and it started moving again! I was like OH MY WORD YOU CAN'T KILL THIS THING! LOL Good luck with it. :)
At least there is no walking involved, no going potty in the house, no loose hair all over, no getting into your trash, no walking all over your kitchen table or counters....no barking and no meowing! ;) We have 0 pets now. LOL Can you tell? (We have 5 children-that's enough for me!) We've tried fish, crab, hamsters, puppies, dogs-we're better without pets. ;)

Jennifer22206 09-18-2011 02:32 PM

Hehe! I've had hermit crabs for a long time. They're great. Very low maintenance. I'm used to the purple pinchers (PP) the ones with purple on the big claw, and I didn't realize when we got Shelly she was Ecuadorian. She has "chirped" a bit - apparently Ecuadorian hermits do that looking for friends to play with. So Shelly will get a friend as soon as I can find another Ecuadorian.

My oldest hermit was Hermie. He lived with me for 9 years and was HUGE.

Sandee 09-18-2011 04:05 PM

My kids had those when they were young,too. Once they left one of them in the sandbox & couldn't find it. We thought it was gone forever. Then the next spring it showed up next to out backdoor..about 60 ft from the sandbox. We have no idea where it spent the winter but it survived & we had it for quite a while after that. Don't forget that as they grow they will need to have a new & slightly bigger shell available to move into.