Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hiding storage with table skirt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hiding-storage-table-skirt-t248581.html)

Nanny's dollface 06-17-2014 07:02 PM

To all , thank-you so much for your responses and for your time to respond. You are all great!
Sandygirl, thank-you for the pic as it gives me a better idea of what it would look like.
I will post a pic of my room and the skirt when It's all done. I plan to go to Joannes's on Friday so my stretch goal is to have this skirt done this weekend otherwise by next weekend.

didi 06-18-2014 03:44 AM

Sandygirl, I love the colors in your skirt, great idea.

Sandygirl 06-18-2014 03:57 AM

Thanks ladies.

At the time i had purchased two 28' rolls (hook, loop) of 3/4" width "velcro" from an online source. I have used the tape for many projects. Ths site, http://www.hookandlooptape.com/index.htm has COLORS!

I purchased the sticky back and reinforced it by stitching along each edge of the tape to the skirting. It sticks pretty well on the tables. Still in use!

You have to make sure that one roll is "loop", the second roll is "hook". Dont assume that the roll is both!! I made that assumption only to find that i did not read the description.

I used my ruffler foot to make the skirting. Not elastic.

Post pics!
sandy

Sandygirl 06-18-2014 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 6762013)
I would think doing it that way might be difficult to have the upper edge be neat. I would make it like an apron or skirt waistband so the piece you're attaching the Velcro to is smooth. I would also make the under curtain less than double. If you want the valance, it can be double. Plus, I'd use two pieces on the curtain for accessibility - three if you're turning the corner. it does sound like a good idea.

I agree! If and when I re-do my skirting ....i will make a "waistband" top to attach the gathered skirting to the loop & hook tape. It will be much neater.

Sandy

Sandygirl 06-18-2014 04:10 AM

For some fun ides...check out Pinterest!

sandy

lclang 06-18-2014 04:28 AM

I also read an article where a lady needed more space than she had so she took a large round garbage can, added a nice round finished wood top and made a floor length cloth for it and used it in her living room as an end table...there's always a way! Could also use a square top if you wanted. Nice way to store fabric and pretty easy to get to it.

IQuiltnFL 06-18-2014 05:04 AM

Great ideas on this thread. I made a skirt for my table in a newly arranged space. The most challenging part has been getting it to stay on with the Velcro. I'm in a humid area and it just doesn't stay. I do live the skirt hiding the storage though.

roserips 06-18-2014 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 6762013)
I would think doing it that way might be difficult to have the upper edge be neat. I would make it like an apron or skirt waistband so the piece you're attaching the Velcro to is smooth. I would also make the under curtain less than double. If you want the valance, it can be double. Plus, I'd use two pieces on the curtain for accessibility - three if you're turning the corner. it does sound like a good idea.

really great advice from irish rose. I have actually used conduit as a rod and it works well.

toodie11 06-18-2014 07:58 PM

I made a skirt also, but I have it attached to an old church table and I used heavier upholstry fabric with no gathers, stitched the velcro to the top of the fabric. used Double faced Carpet tape to hold the other velcro to the table. It seems to hold better than the sticky velcro. Also I put the skirt below the top of the table so that I did not keep bumping into it and knocking it off. I only used the about 8" of velcro about every two feet.

Bubbie 06-18-2014 09:32 PM

SORRY to start off with the wrong, but I'm that sorta gal. Your RUFFLE needs to be at least twice the inches of fabric (ruffle needs to be gathered), you'll need at least 436 inches of fabric for the ruffle. And more if you want more of a ruffle (gather).
Good luck.