Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   High Efficiency Washers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/high-efficiency-washers-t226733.html)

vjjo743 07-28-2013 10:33 AM

High Efficiency Washers

I am buying a new washing machine, last one I purchased 10 years ago and I know they have changed alot. Wondered if anyone has an opinion about any new machines. Thanks

Misty's Mom 07-28-2013 11:01 AM

Awe bought our whirlpool gold washer & dryer about 10 years ago from lowes. We've had no problems and they work great. They were beside the maytags and the whirlpools beat them hands down on water usage, efficiency and power usage. Did I mention that I love them :)

peacefulquilting 07-28-2013 11:17 AM

Bought my LG HE washer a little over a year and half ago - no problems - great machine! Bought the LG to replace a Whirlpool HE that had given up the ghost, so to speak. If you have a septic tank, it's nice to have a HE to keep from overloading the tank with water.

sewmom 07-28-2013 11:29 AM

I have a Whirlpool duet sport. It's HE. The only drawback that I see to the front loader washer is if you dye fabrics or wool felting- you can't do that in them, so I'm told. I have had mine for a number of years now-6- and I really love them. You have to wipe out the inside seal constantly or you get a musty smell from the water sitting in the seal.

oksewglad 07-28-2013 11:48 AM

I have had a Whirlpool Duet for about 6 years, too. I am going to get rid of it. It is so sensitive to sudsing. I use HE detergent and less than half of the recommended amount and I still get sudsing. Sometimes the water won't spin out of the fabrics and I'm left with a washer of soggy wet clothes that aren't properly rinsed. Yes I run the clean cycle regularly, no the hoses are not kinked and yes I wipe out the ring etc. Mildew has never been a problem.

My next machine is going to be a Speed Queen. I have one in the barn to wash towels for the cows--heavy duty use and gets the towels clean!

hopetoquilt 07-28-2013 12:19 PM

Just bought an LG HE washer. I think my machine was 30+ years old and finally gave out. It was old when we moved in 13 years ago. So far we like it.

Tartan 07-28-2013 12:46 PM

I hope they still make top loading ones when I need to replace mine. I like being able to wash a quilt in mine with lots of water. The drawbacks I have heard for front loaders are: small things get sucked into the pumps, mold can grow at the doors and there have been reports of children crawling into them.

carolaug 07-28-2013 12:51 PM

I have an LG HE also. No problems....like it The door locks when on. Works well for me washing quilts.

patricej 07-28-2013 12:58 PM

i have a top loading HE.
i do not like it, sam I am.
i'd rather eat green eggs and ham.

i can't control the water level.
it does not get clothes as clean as the old washer did.

still ... it's better than rocks at the river. LOL

QuiltnNan 07-28-2013 02:17 PM

i don't like the new machines because one cannot open the lid to add a forgotten item after it starts and one cannot use just hot water if one has a mind to... there is a thermostat that automatically adds cold water if the tub gets too hot.