Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Historical Trivia (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/historical-trivia-t194857.html)

LenaBeena 07-17-2012 08:49 AM

Please check with Snoopes.com.

Latrinka 07-17-2012 09:08 AM

Very interesting! Thanks!

burchquilts 07-17-2012 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies (Post 5372369)
Helen, I admire your son. He is a survivor for sure! What a great attitude in the face of such loss. I love his sense of humor!

My BFF had bone cancer & had to have her leg & half of her pelvis removed. She used to refer to herself as my "half-a**" friend. Once we were in Target & there was this naughty little kid who was just making a total scene. Normally Karen was very patient with kids & would explain why she didn't have aleg in very age-appropriate terms. But this kid was so bratty & annoying, when he came up & DEMANDED to know "what's wrong with you?" , she calmly replied "I acted up in a store & my leg just fell off"! LOL! That kid's eyes got big as dollars & he was meek as a lamb after that! She used to tell me "Laugh or go crazy".

burchquilts 07-17-2012 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5372370)
I often say things and wonder where that particular statement came from originally. funny, we keep doing things and saying things that were passed down over generations.

I was just thinking about that this AM. My folks were from the South & had a whole bunch of sayings that when I repeat them up here, people just look at me... LOL!

I loved these facts. But, then again, I'm a total nerd... THANKS for posting these!

merry 07-17-2012 01:14 PM

Just finished a library book (kindle) called "Who put the Butter in Butterfly." It was full of explanations of commonly used words & phrases. It was a fun read for anyone interested.

mountain deb 07-17-2012 04:00 PM

My sister sent this to me some time ago and I found it extremely fasinating.

nancia 07-17-2012 04:39 PM

helenquilt-- your son's ability to maintain his sense of humor reminds me of a dear friend who had a leg amputated as a child. she has often told me she has no fear of not going to heaven as she already has' a foot in the door!.' i'm sure she'll get in for many other reasons!:thumbup:

Dee 07-17-2012 08:14 PM

Thanks for the intresting info. I like stuff like this.

ctipton 07-18-2012 03:13 AM

I always wonder where this stuff originated...Thanks so much. Also do you think they carried hankies dipped in parfum becauce they were so odoriferous. Could not think of a polite way to say they smelled

Merivale 07-18-2012 07:26 PM

In Paddle Boat days, in the evening a hot chocolate was brought to your room at bed time. To warm the drink it was placed on the asbestos lagged pipes that ran the length of the boat until the drink was hot. This is how we get the expression piping hot.