Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hoarder with a FW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hoarder-fw-t277046.html)

nativetexan 03-25-2016 04:28 PM

Boy, i'm glad I am not a hoarder. i recently gave up and felt something just let go. i decided to sell my antique furniture. no sense on holding on to it. no one else loves it but me. perhaps hoarders love their things and just need to finally be able to let go.

quiltingshorttimer 03-25-2016 04:41 PM

As a licensed mental health professional, I wish it was just a matter of clearing stuff out. Hoarding has been recently added to the DSM-V (the diagnostic manual for insurance purposes used in the USA)--and it is often treated medically much like clinical depression.

This situation is so sad cause she's educated, her relatives have tried to haul stuff out(she hauls it back or finds more to add to it), the house is non-livable now--front door falling off, stuff piled all around the house, vermin, etc (she said is used to have a snake in the house that just moved in and wish a black snake would move in again to take care of vermin!). She is unable to bath, uses businesses' bathrooms (although most are resisting on that as she smells so badly), and is wearing clothing typically seen on homeless(dirty & layered). She obviously needs mental health support but unfortunately resources for that in our state have dried updue to our state budget being almost bankrupt because of tax cuts to businesses.

mike'sgirl 03-25-2016 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 7504420)
Sadly, many hoarders have neglected the housing to the point it must be condemned. I do have to say, as much as I feel for them, when I see the shows in commercials, I go clean something.

Oh me too! It makes my skin crawl to think of living that way and I get anxious and start cleaning. Poor people!

Jan in VA 03-25-2016 08:58 PM

Hoarding is a disorder in which many of those affected are replacing a significant loss (to them) by holding onto things where they were unable to hold onto the person they lost. Very sad, but much like those who become addicts.

Jan in VA

ChrisDee 03-25-2016 09:27 PM

Very, very sad. I too, become attached to my belongings and periodically I have to force myself to box up my treasures and donate them, hoping they will find their way to someone who will treasure them like I did.

DebbieJJ 03-26-2016 03:45 AM

We had a neighbor that hoarded everything from empty gallon milk jugs to newspapers to empty envelopes. She filled her house AND her car. When her car got so full, she would park it and go buy another one to drive and fill up. When her house got full, she lined the milk jugs up on the hood and bumpers of the car. My brother is a mechanic, and once she needed some work done (wanted an expensive repair done free, but my brother said nope). Anyway, when he tried to get in the driver's seat, he couldn't because of all the paper and stuff on the floorboard, then couldn't push the seat back because of all the junk behind the seat. She only had a dinner-plate sized hole in the windshield to see out of, but she never had an accident. I remember as a child going into their house because her youngest daughter was a good friend. At least there was a path from one room room to another, but you couldn't see over the stacks of junk on either side of the path. I don't know if she was a sewist, but I'll bet there were some sewing machines in there. We were living in another state when she passed of cancer a few years ago.

RN-Quilter 03-26-2016 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7503896)
what a shame

Well said!!!:thumbup:

coopah 03-26-2016 05:51 AM

My dad grew up in town during the Great Depression. He said he wore holes in his pants and the holes were mended and the mended parts got holes and those were mended. He collected a lot of stuff, but most had a way to be re-purposed. Not that he always did that. It was security for him to know how to fix or build anything and have stuff to use that he already had. At least he wasn't out in the bars or any of that. I miss him and his stuff. He never let his stuff into the house, but had 4 buildings of it. He always knew where things were, too.

Jo Anne B. 03-26-2016 07:35 AM

I shared a horse barn with a woman that the info was shared with me that she was a hoarder. Her behaviors led me to believe the info was true. She has a college degree plus a Masters. She also works in the Mental Health field, met her husband thru her work, he has mental health issues and cannot work. Scares me, her job includes teaching/rehabbing persons living and daily skills. A woman with obvious mental health issues teaching others with disabilities to function ??? Scares the crap out of me. I left the barn due to her ability to latch on to things that were not hers. She was just Creepy!!

Clmay 03-26-2016 04:58 PM

Halo, I agree with what you wrote. I too have a bad habit of collecting items that I might use one day and the day never comes. When my daughter comes over, she has been telling me how much better the house looks. I have had to clean and when I clean, I ask myself, do I need this? what for? If I can't give a logical answer, it gets packed up and off to the good will it goes.