Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Holiday gift exchanges at work or in groups (family events excluded) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/holiday-gift-exchanges-work-groups-family-events-excluded-t269926.html)

bearisgray 09-13-2015 07:04 AM

Holiday gift exchanges at work or in groups (family events excluded)

How do you feel about them?

Tartan 09-13-2015 08:08 AM

​Hate them! I much rather have everyone decide on a charity and do a group donation. Let's face it....we don't need more stuff!

Onebyone 09-13-2015 08:52 AM

I only exchange with my sew group and it's not expected or mandatory. I like to find gifts that are suited for each member of the group. It's the only time I shop for other then family and I like it. When I worked gift exchanges were not done. Some did individual gifts to each other at random times though. My favorite generic gift to give is a basil plant in a pretty pot. I can buy the fresh full basil plants at the grocery store for about $5. Some get one plant is small pot some get four or five plants in a big pot.

ctyankee 09-13-2015 09:06 AM

I'm all for exchanging something handmade, since I love to make things for people as well as receive handmade items, but my friends don't sew, so that's a bummer. At work we have an exchange, but that one I really don't like because the gifts are so generic & they always play that Chinese game where, if you like a gift someone has already opened, you can swap yours for hers. I always end up with crap (or the one gag gift in the lot), but I would never swap it for someone else's gift on principle alone; if I don't believe in it, I will not do it. Someone always ends up in tears, & yet they still play that "game." Go figure.

bearisgray 09-13-2015 09:18 AM

I do enjoy the gift exchange in our little quilting group. the gifts are usually quite modest - usually reflect the personality of the givers - and are thoughtful!

For the past three years I have been giving those crocheted scrubbies that I buy from a lady in our park while in Florida. They seem to be well-received.

Some of the things that have been given-received - fat quarters, 6-inch ruler, 3 foot tape measure, pottery items, Avon bath stuff, hand-made ornaments, note pads, books, ring pincushion made from a bottle cap, mug rugs - - -

We are a creative group :D

dunster 09-13-2015 01:02 PM

I don't care for them in general. I have enough stuff, and so do my friends. I'd rather just have a nice meal together and enjoy one another's company. The get-a-gift-and-exchange-it thing just seems mean-spirited to me. I know some people have fun doing it, but others walk away with hurt feelings.

Nammie to 7 09-13-2015 02:47 PM

I don't like them -- I would rather spend the money and take the time to do for my family. I really don't like to bring home something I really don't want and don't need -- a Christmas card with a heartfelt message from a co-worker would mean more. I always disliked putting into a pool to buy for my boss -- they always used company money to buy for their employees.

julie 09-13-2015 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7316139)
​Hate them! I much rather have everyone decide on a charity and do a group donation. Let's face it....we don't need more stuff!

my thoughts exactly!!

ptquilts 09-13-2015 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7316139)

Ditto !! And I totally don't get that taking gifts away from other people - how is that fun?

Sandygirl 09-13-2015 05:47 PM

I enjoy the holidays so much more since we quit the gift giving years ago. dH and I exchange gifts. That is it. The niece and nephew are grown. The adults can buy whatever they desire. Being together is more meaningful. I wish that my long gone aunts, uncles and parents were here. Life goes on. We just have the memories now.

Sandy