Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Home Hair Coloring? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/home-hair-coloring-t281749.html)

JuneBillie 08-29-2016 08:19 AM

Home Hair Coloring?

Hello Friends,

I was just wondering what you think is the best home hair coloring kits for covering a lot of gray. I typically keep my hair colored a reddish brown on the darker side. My natural hair color is dark brown. My son had me get my hair colored a really pretty reddish brown (more on the red side) for my dad's funeral for $50.00, but to be honest it grows out where I can already see a bit of the roots almost a month later. I was going to have them do it again, but I can buy a better hair color kit for much less than that. I will have them cut it for me though regularly. At 63, I am keeping my hair in a short to medium bob style with a side part. Should I maybe leave the part out, and just get it use to going backwards all over to help when the roots start popping in?

Thanks for any tips and advice.
Susan:)

dunster 08-29-2016 08:45 AM

I'm not a good one to answer, because I've never colored my hair. But I do have another suggestion. Have you considered having your hair frosted? That way when the roots start to show, it looks more natural. I have one friend who was dying her brown hair, switched to frosting, and no one noticed when she stopped having it frosted and just let it be natural. Grey or white hair can be really beautiful, and is not the age-related "stigma" it once was.

Three Dog Night 08-29-2016 08:56 AM

I preferred using Clariol Nice N Easy when I was coloring my hair. I liked it because it has 3 colors in the mixture which builds in highlights, I used Light Reddish Brown and then changed to Reddish Blonde and then phased out and let my hair go gray. When the roots started to show I would try to not part my hair until I could color again, I was coloring my hair every 3 or 4 weeks. Now that my hair has grown out I will not go back to coloring again as I am embracing my gray.

Tartan 08-29-2016 09:15 AM

I use Natural Instincts semi permanent hair colour. It washes out gradually so no roots to cover. I can usually go a couple of months before it gets looking washed out but I have a medium blonde covering my grey.

lynnie 08-29-2016 09:21 AM

my hair is now a very light blond, the lightest color on the boxes. i do, however, have a dark what i refer to as a yarmulka spot on the crown of my head. all my hair is white-ish blond except this spot which comes in greyish, so i color that once a month or so. I use Miss Calirol at Walmart for $2.97/box.it blends it into my other hair. My mom has the same problem.. at 80, her hair is white-ish grey, except for that one spot which is black-is grey. Weird how the hair looses color in some spots and not others. th pieces by my face are so white, but with a touch of yellow, like the meat of a banana. From all my surgeries, my hair is straight now.but much longer

ManiacQuilter2 08-29-2016 11:04 AM

My mother use to frost my hair with a Clairol product but now it is dirt blond and gray so it is frosted naturally.

JuneBillie 08-29-2016 11:24 AM

I remember my grandma on my dad's side use to get her hair done and colored with a simple rinse every week by this lady who did this back then with a blue type light color that covered the yellow in my grandma's gray. My grandma loved it. All she cared about was to not have any yellow in her hair. I think it's amusing though, because isn't yellow to some extent what is in blonde? And then today we wonder what looks acceptable with all the kids and even some older that have the striking blue, green, blood red hair etc.

The reason I like mine on the dark auburn side is I have olive type skin so it suits me.

Tothill 08-29-2016 12:58 PM

My granny used laundry blueing in her white hair, because she was a smoker and the smoke would stain her hair a yellowish shade at the front, that did not look nice (think tobacco stains on fingers or walls).

At 50, I generally have may hair professionally coloured 3-4 times a year. It is my one vanity. I am a natural red head and when Franny colours my hair she uses 4-5 different shades of red (she uses foils) , sometimes with a purple or blond thrown in for good measure. I get lots of compliments on my hair colour. It does look dyed, but that is ok by me.

I have very thick wavy hair, cut short and it naturally stands up, which effectively hides the roots for quite awhile.

In between salon colouring, or if I cannot afford the salon, I will dye at home. I use L'Oréal products and even with short hair, usually have to buy two boxes to fully cover my thick hair.

I am not ready to let it go grey yet. I know that near my ears it is white, but ther is lots of colour left every where else.

Originally Posted by JuneBillie (Post 7639848)
I remember my grandma on my dad's side use to get her hair done and colored with a simple rinse every week by this lady who did this back then with a blue type light color that covered the yellow in my grandma's gray. My grandma loved it. All she cared about was to not have any yellow in her hair. I think it's amusing though, because isn't yellow to some extent what is in blonde? And then today we wonder what looks acceptable with all the kids and even some older that have the striking blue, green, blood red hair etc.

The reason I like mine on the dark auburn side is I have olive type skin so it suits me.

Beachbaby12 08-30-2016 04:38 AM

I use to use Clairol natural instincts. I now treat myself to get my hair done to cover the gray by my hairdresser and have my hair cut the same time. As far as how quick the gray comes in, my experience is that the older you get, at least for me and some other ladies I've spoken to, the gray eventually turns white, and the sooner or more often you need to get your hair colored unfortunately. As they say, we're not getting old just older :)

AZ Jane 08-30-2016 05:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm 64! Go natural!![ATTACH=CONFIG]557172[/ATTACH]