Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   hot cold packs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hot-cold-packs-t77935.html)

Fancy Nancy 11-21-2010 11:14 PM

i read somewhere to use whole kernel cracked corn - like you find at a feed store. you can crack it up into smaller pieces. has anyone ever used this in a hot/cold pack instead of rice?

Ramona Byrd 11-21-2010 11:18 PM

I think you can buy cracked corn for chickens. This will save you some problems with vacuum cleaners if it's too cold to crack it outside!!!

Sadiemae 11-21-2010 11:32 PM

In googling, many people use cracked corn as filler. I also found one site that said to use flax seed from the seed and feed store.

wolfkitty 11-22-2010 12:12 AM

I use flax seed. It is much 'softer', as in not hard and pointy, like corn. Much easier on a migrained headache.

Gramof6 11-22-2010 02:02 AM

I have used cracked corn a lot in the hot packs I make. I use heavy ticking fabric. I have sev. sizes that I use. Usually 3 mins. in the microwave is all it takes for a lg one (about 5X8 inch). Made sev. small sz for hand warmers to stick in your pocket.

ckcowl 11-22-2010 02:31 AM

i know a lady who uses corn and beans (not together but one at a time) i guess they (work) ok...but when heated in the microwave they sure stink up the house. i hated the smell of the one she gave me as a gift that had beans in it...and the corn ones, well, if you love the house smelling like popped corn....personally i will stick to the rice. much more subtle odor, and you can add lavender making it even better.

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
i read somewhere to use whole kernel cracked corn - like you find at a feed store. you can crack it up into smaller pieces. has anyone ever used this in a hot/cold pack instead of rice?

raptureready 11-22-2010 03:27 AM

If you live in an area where you get mice in the late fall/winter be careful with these. Field mice LOVE corn.

quiltinghere 11-22-2010 04:59 AM

I use regular POPCORN - I've made a bunch of pocketwarmers using 6" squares of old denim jeans. Right sides together sew around 3 edges (2 long - 1 short), turn right side out, fill with POPCORN, turn down top edge and sew closed on machine.

Heat for 1 minute (or a little more - you have to test your microwave).

Easy to find - pretty inexpensive - smells good when heated - great gifts for those who work in the cold.

Shelbie 11-22-2010 05:29 AM

Since we grow grain on our farm, I use wheat, barley or oats. The wheat kernels are denser so hold the heat longer and give off a slightly porridge smell when heated. I store hot packs not being used in a small rubbermaid container just to discourage any mouse guests and they have not chewed through any of the plastic. I also store a bucket of wheat in an old empty large popcron can for future hotpacks.

Jo M 11-22-2010 05:42 AM

I use flax seed and sometimes put a very small amount of dried lavender (from my sister's garden).