Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   House Cleaning - House Work (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/house-cleaning-house-work-t292988.html)

bearisgray 12-01-2017 06:06 AM

House Cleaning - House Work

What do you consider "routine" chores/projects?

What do you consider "deep" cleaning projects? Or - just once in a while projects?

For us - the "once in a while" projects include - but are not limited to -

Cleaning the windows
Defrosting the freezers
Cleaning out the refrigerator (looking at the dates on the condiments!)
Getting the carpeting cleaned

How about you?

SusieQOH 12-01-2017 07:13 AM

Routine- bathrooms, vacuuming (my vacuum does all different floors so I don't have to sweep). constant kitchen cleanup, dusting (hate that job) Daily litter box care of course.

Not routine- cleaning out all the kitchen cabinets and drawers, windows, cleaning, under furniture and beds, lights, fans, cleaning out the garage.

i don't like any of it lol. My husband and I have a good routine though. We need to do our windows. We have a million of them. That's a job my husband loves, not me!

DJ 12-01-2017 07:15 AM

I don't have a lot of chores that I consider routine. We are empty-nesters, so don't have kids around messing things up.

Routine:

Kitchen ... breakfast/lunch/dinner/clean up
Laundry
Clean floors (DH vacuums and I sweep/mop)
Clean bathroom(s) (DH takes care of the shower stall)
DH helps a lot with things like making the bed every day, nearly all the regular outside work, cleaning up the kitchen after dinner ... Love the guy!

Everything else is just as needed ... and maybe even later ... LOL

Anniedeb 12-01-2017 10:22 AM

For me there is "routine", "deep", "once in a while", and the ever dreaded "holy-moly company is coming and I really need to kick it up a notch!"

Faintly Artistic 12-01-2017 12:00 PM

Routine--piecing, hand quilting, cutting, pressing.
Deep, once-in-a-while, cook, clean house :p

Just kidding...sort of.

onestrokeartist 12-01-2017 01:29 PM

Well, kitchen areas must be clean for me for sure and bathroom, laundry must be done, cat box....but I must admit we do have a lot of dust bunnies not great on vacuum cleaning and dusting. Major stuff like washing all the drapes, twice a year. I have never washed our walls, I know my mom used to wash her walls. If anything smells yucky in the house, that has to be cleaned. I don't believe in hiding smells with pretty air fresheners, unless you're cooking fish or something and you want to mask that smell. We have way, way too much stuff and that is a problem when you want to dust and/or vacuum clean.

Stitchnripper 12-01-2017 01:54 PM

Kitchen and bathrooms always. Dusting, vacuuming and hard surfaces next. Had the windows washed this year. We keep up with it and this house is bigger than the last one and has less in it, so, easy to get under and around things. It also doesn't accumulate much dust which I can't explain. Laundry of course but I don't mind it. We are both able so we don't hire inside help. If I ever need it I will. I love my quilting but don't need to be doing it every waking minute or even every day.

mamagrande 12-01-2017 03:47 PM

Dishes, sweeping/mopping kitchen/eating area is a main everyday chore. Vacuuming living room/bedrooms and dusting is weekly or every two weeks unless we are having company or babysitting. Cleaning leaves or debris from the pool is as needed, washing filter once a week in Summer and monthly in Winter. Feeding chickens and gathering eggs is daily. Mowing the lawn is weekly in Summer, grass is dormant in the winter.

Deep cleaning?? as needed I guess. My sister would come to help and it would take her a whole day to clean one room. She would take off the little crystals from chandeliers an wash them, take out all the books from the shelves dust and replace them in order. I iron little doilies to place under stuff on furniture. Gee I miss her...she moved to Texas.

Maybe once a year, Garage cleaning, window cleaning, carpet cleaning, filling a big dumpster (family activity) with junk, bush/tree timings.

zozee 12-01-2017 04:13 PM

Well, since my mom passed away, I've been my dad's cleaning lady. (They had a cleaning lady before that, because of my mom's health and dad's age. He doesn't want to be alone in the house w/ any woman unless he's related to her...he's just such a pure and wholesome guy with old-fashioned ideas, for which I highly respect him.)

So I clean his house (deeply) and mine...well, as best I can. Ha.

My "dailies" at my house:

Dishes
Tidying main level
1-2 loads of laundry

2-3x/week vacuuming main level (thank you, dog hair)
sweeping kitchen
quick cleaning sink and toilet in half bath

Weekly:
changing sheets
cleaning bathrooms
dusting family room

Less often, less regularly:

the bedrooms (all upstairs)
dusting dining room and living room (not in plain view of visitors, so...you know...why?? LOL)
throwing out old food from fridge

When I can't stands it no mo:

my sewing room
clean the fridge thoroughly
windex windows and doors
move furniture to vacuum in/around/under (need my menfolk for this job)

My dad's house is cleaner every week since I give it 4 hours and he doesn't cook. LOL

Doggramma 12-01-2017 04:34 PM

I like the kitchen and bathrooms to be clean. So I tend to those chores daily, and it includes keeping the refrigerator up to date. My husband does the laundry, washing bedding, and swiffering/vaccuuming floors once a week. Dusting almost never happens except in my sewing room. Any other deeper cleaning happens on an as-needed basis, such as "company is coming! We need to clean."

Periodically something will really bug one of us, so we'll do some other cleaning, such as straightening out some closet or area that's collected too much junk. The freezer is really bugging me because it needs to be defrosted. So we'll be working on that soon.

if anyone happens to just stop by, I don't think our house looks really dirty...maybe some dust, but otherwise ok