Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Housework Blahs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/housework-blahs-t221732.html)

MaryKatherine 05-18-2013 04:21 AM

Housework Blahs

I've neglected my house until I'd now be embarrassed if I had unexpected visitors. My husband doesn't see it as he lives in his office. I guess its a good thing its beginning to bother me.
I've decided (after I return from a long weekend vacaton) I'm going to to the old "spring cleaning" thing. Strip each room to its bones and do it: baseboards, ceiling cobs, wash and polish the hardwoods, take down and wash the curtains. etc.
But I need to make it manageable so I'll do it all. so I was thinking....................
What if I assign one day a week to cleaning......some rooms will be a snap like the bathrooms. That way I won't fell I'm trapped.....though I may dread the approach of that day.
How do some of you FORCE yourself to do the job. I need a reward system?
(My mother had a cleaning lady: that's why I don't have the housekeeping gene.)
MaryKatherine

QuiltnNan 05-18-2013 04:42 AM

i heartily endorse your one day a week plan! otherwise you will wear yourself out and quit or take shortcuts just to get done

dakotamaid 05-18-2013 05:20 AM

I put on some loud music and let er rip!!

Seriously, I would do one room at a time also. If I have 2 easy rooms I may do 2 a day. That way I still have room for fun things. :)

Abby'smom 05-18-2013 05:28 AM

Wow -- admire your enthusiasm and motivation!! -- I just don't wear my glasses and then can't see all the lack of clean!!

francie yuhas 05-18-2013 05:31 AM

I do a bare- bones maintenance each day. Then, I'll do all the light fixtures one day,all the base boards another day..etc. lots of jazzy music helps,plus the knowledge that I immediately hit the sewing station when I'm done with that day's chore.

alleyoop1 05-18-2013 05:50 AM

I "force" myself to clean by inviting company over!!!

MaryMo 05-18-2013 06:00 AM

I clean an area when it starts to bug me ... or when I'm in a bit of indecision. I'm not an organized or scheduled person, so it's done when I most feel like it; it may be only one area or one activity (dusting, vacuuming, washing a window).

MaryStoaks 05-18-2013 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 6070859)
I "force" myself to clean by inviting company over!!!

This is what I do. It's a good thing that I have overnight company a couple of times a year.:thumbup:

Nammie to 7 05-18-2013 07:36 AM

I don't have a set schedule but will have an area (or 3) that really bug me. One day I will just dig into one of those areas and get it done. That mood usually hits every week or two. Different things will set off the cleaning binge - one day my husband asked if I would wash his caps - once that was done I went to put them away and decided the whole area needed cleaning - 3 hours later it was all polished and done.

thequilteddove 05-18-2013 07:48 AM

Oh MaryK, I hear you! I've got the same problem. At first glance my home looks presentable.... but it really is quite filthy! A DEEP cleaning is needed. I just have a serious problem staying focused long enough to get things done. Perhaps I should follow your lead and take one day a week to thoroughly clean a room. It's a good thing I have a small home... where oh where to begin though! Loud music is always a bonus, so long as I don't start dancing to it instead of clean to it lol Speaking of housework, I best get back to it - only 4 hours until my guest arrive! Ughhhhhh!