Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Housework (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/housework-t218960.html)

Sweeterthanwine 04-12-2013 02:48 PM

Housework

It seems my housework has gotten in the way of my wanting to sew and quilt for the last month. I'm itching to get back to making quilts. I'll be glad when my spring cleaning is done so I can do what I love to do most. I'm almost ready to say to heck with cleaning and get to my love of sewing. Trouble is, if I let it go, then it takes me twice as long to catch up. Kitchen cabinets are next on my list - then I think I will put cleaning on hold for at least a couple weeks. Good Idea????:D

QuiltE 04-12-2013 02:58 PM

Only you know what are "must do's" vs. "need to do's" but not necessarily
One tactic I do is ... set my chore goals for the day allowing some quilting time.d
That way I have my reward dangling to get those chorese done.

Examples ...
Chores in the morning, then quilt in the afternoon.
Or
Chores til 4pm, then start supper, quilt til it's ready, eat, then more quilting til bed time.
Or
No quilting til the task of the day is done ... amazing how fast I can get some of those done in the end!
And so on!

hopetoquilt 04-13-2013 03:54 AM

I streamlined my house.... Got ride of junk, knicknacks, anything that wasn't needed or loved. I go full blast. Leaning on Friday right after work and then by Saturday morning, I am ready to quilt. I also bore easily, so I will do 6 blocks and then a chore, then back to chain piece, etc and it works beautifully. Look at why you have so much to do and if the things you have are worth the upkeep.

elseebee 04-13-2013 04:39 AM

My DH was quite shocked when I asked him if he'd ever consider polygamy. Then he realized what I was getting at when I said it'd be okay with me if he found another wife who loved to clean and garden. That way I could spend all my time in my sewing room or out shopping for more stash!

NikkiLu 04-13-2013 05:16 AM

Now this is funny!!!!!

Originally Posted by elseebee (Post 5997465)
My DH was quite shocked when I asked him if he'd ever consider polygamy. Then he realized what I was getting at when I said it'd be okay with me if he found another wife who loved to clean and garden. That way I could spend all my time in my sewing room or out shopping for more stash!

Jingle 04-13-2013 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by elseebee (Post 5997465)

I have often thought that would be a good idea. hahaha.
I have been redoing several rooms in my house but sew in the evenings during the week. I would love to declutter, I guess I'm really not ready yet.

ging10ging 04-13-2013 05:58 PM

Yeah housework does seem to get in the way of enjoyment if you don't do it you feel quilty and if you do your upset you can't do what you want. I try to do housework in the am and then quit by 1pm and then to quilt until 4pm or so to start getting dinner done or if I'm smart and can put it in the crock pot in the am I can sew longer a maid would be nice but DH says I would clean before she came so why bother and I know he's right. Sue

Nammie to 7 04-13-2013 07:04 PM

I try to do housework in the mornings - and always hope to be in my sewing room by 12:00. I've been doing one major project every week and feel such a sense of accomplishment when that happens! I usually bake every other week and will sometimes take a day and do nothing but cook and freeze meals - then I don't have to stop sewing too early!

LenaBeena 04-14-2013 05:32 AM

If i wait til everything else is finished and perfect I never have time to quilt. So just take a little time when you can.

Stitchit123 04-14-2013 07:18 AM

I've been spring cleaning for the past 2 weeks. I finished yesterday : ) . I'll be having my 1st ever yard sale as soon as I rest up. Where does all this stuff come from?? But I've only found 2 UFO's and I've been working on the QAYG in the evenings The other one may never get beyond being a finished top. But while cleaning the ''cave'' I have put together fabrics for future quilts. Now that the weather is finally getting nice there won't be much sewing going on around here, but in the evenings I do most of the cutting and then the patterns and projects are stored together til rainy days or sleepless nights or the next time its to cold to play outside.