Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How can you not Know? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-can-you-not-know-t161904.html)

Stogsdill 10-20-2011 10:03 AM

Really... I just got a message form our PTO president asking for help with marketing for a picnic planned in November. So I suggested that she might check with our quilt guild. She just responded with "What and Who is the Temple Quilt Guild?"
I can understand the who but the what?
Can we no longer break things down define quilt, and guild, then put it together again.
I did give her the website and thought if nothing else they might be able to suggest business or sources. She is wanting to do a bake sale as well and I do plan on helping with the baking.
aww.... feel much relief.

Peckish 10-20-2011 10:43 AM

Is she young? It is entirely possible that she is unsure what a quilt is. I have known LOTS of people who see my quilts and call them blankets. When I tell them it's a quilt, they go "Huh! So THAT'S what a quilt looks like!" Same goes for a guild. She may have had an idea, but instead of assuming and looking stupid, she decided to ask you instead.

Willa 10-20-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Is she young? It is entirely possible that she is unsure what a quilt is. I have known LOTS of people who see my quilts and call them blankets. When I tell them it's a quilt, they go "Huh! So THAT'S what a quilt looks like!" Same goes for a guild. She may have had an idea, but instead of assuming and looking stupid, she decided to ask you instead.

Yep! I never saw my grandmothers quilt and my mom was too busy with 5 kids. If my SIL had never brought her grandmother's quilt tops to my mom to have quilted at a local church I probably wouldn't know the difference either. As for the guild I never knew they existed until years after that .

ckcowl 10-20-2011 12:18 PM

lots of non-quilters (and even some quilters) have no idea what a quilt guild is- it's not that common of knowledge-
many new quilters have no idea until an older person takes them to their first one---and for some that never happens-
just because you know doesn't mean everyone knows

qbquilts 10-20-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
lots of non-quilters (and even some quilters) have no idea what a quilt guild is- it's not that common of knowledge-
many new quilters have no idea until an older person takes them to their first one---and for some that never happens-
just because you know doesn't mean everyone knows

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Becka 10-20-2011 02:28 PM

A lot of people don't know what a "guild" is, and it would be hard to derive what a "quilt guild" is without a frame (get it - frame...quilting...) of reference...

ube quilting 10-20-2011 02:34 PM

What's a PTO, My Dh says it means power take off, I don't think so in this reference :thumbup:

gramajo 10-20-2011 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
What's a PTO, My Dh says it means power take off, I don't think so in this reference :thumbup:

Parent Teacher Organization same thing as PTA Parent Teacher Association

scrappycats 10-20-2011 08:53 PM

Hey, I live in Temple and am not too familiar with the Temple Quilt Guild. Though, just a few weeks ago I learned where they meet.

Guess it takes all kinds of people.

Stogsdill 10-21-2011 06:51 AM

yeah I guess ya'll are right. hehehe... I was not harsh in my reply to her. I even gave her the website address so I guess now she knows.
Ube quilting....I grew up where we called it PTA it still taking me time to get use to calling it PTO.. my hubby called it something else as well.
scrappycats I know the first two visits are free and they have been very friendly to me. Hope to see you next month.